How can I turn off my Verizon Ellipses tablet if the power button won't work?

Emily Killian

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
I just allowed Android to perform a system update on my Verizon Ellipses tablet and now I cannot turn the device off. I think there is something wrong with the power button because I also cannot take a screenshot, which isusually done by holding the power and volume button simultaneously.

Why won't my tablet turn off and is there an alternate way to shut it down without using the power button? I don't want to drain my battery and get stuck with a tablet that then won't turn on!

Thanks so much!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I just allowed Android to perform a system update on my Verizon Ellipses tablet and now I cannot turn the device off. I think there is something wrong with the power button because I also cannot take a screenshot, which isusually done by holding the power and volume button simultaneously.

Why won't my tablet turn off and is there an alternate way to shut it down without using the power button? I don't want to drain my battery and get stuck with a tablet that then won't turn on!

Thanks so much!

Does the display turn on and off when you hit the power button?

Emily Killian

Mar 28, 2015
Visit site
The only time pushing the power button gives any response is if the screen has already timed out, hitting it will bring my tablet back to life. If I want the display to go dark, however, pushing the power button does nothing. I instead have to waitnfor the screen to time out.

Because of this, if the tablet is plugged in, the screen never times out so it charges at an extremely slow rate.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The only time pushing the power button gives any response is if the screen has already timed out, hitting it will bring my tablet back to life. If I want the display to go dark, however, pushing the power button does nothing. I instead have to waitnfor the screen to time out.

Because of this, if the tablet is plugged in, the screen never times out so it charges at an extremely slow rate.

Try holding the power button down while the screen is on for 20 seconds or so and see if that powers it off all the way.

Current devices - T-Mobile Galaxy Note 4, Surface Pro 3 Core I5, and Nexus 9

Past Devices - Phones: Nexus 6, Nexus 5, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S5, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S2, HTC Incredible, HTC EVO 4G, HTC EVO, HTC Hero, Motorola Photon.

Tablets: Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 7 (2012), Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Windows 8.1, Dell Venue 8, Galaxy Tab Pro, Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition, Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note 8, Kindle Fire HD 8.4, Kindle Fire HD 7, Kindle Fire, iPad 2, iPad 1, Nook HD, Nook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12