Why system apps can recover data?

Claude Speed

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to remove default wallpaper via creating fake Launcher update! It worked but on some point system silently installed original Launcher app :( Why?

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which device? What do you mean by creating a fake launcher update to remove a default wallpaper? Can't you just select a different wallpaper from the wallpaper picker?

Claude Speed

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
It always switches to default wallpaper when System UI crashes: either by Force stop option or when tablet is very overloaded which caused that process to stop!

Claude Speed

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
I just dumped Launcher application APK and deleted wallpaper_01.jpg file and instead, putting better wallpaper and signing it with ZipSigner and installing that APK!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Not sure what to do, then. SystemUI is obviously a system app, so if it's crashing, it's either due to glitchy firmware, or possibly some conflict with some other app. That's why I still think it's worth trying an alternate launcher.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I do not have stock ROM!
That's one of the extra costs when you save money by buying a cheap Chinese device - you usually can't get flashing tools and ROMS, the way you can with the name brand devices. You could try searching for enough information the compile a ROM that would work in the device, then installing it by using dd in adb, but it would probably be cheaper to just buy a new device. (This time I wouldn't "save money", though - I'd buy a device for which there's support.)