1. AC Question's Avatar
    I accidentally spilled nail polish remover on the top half of my screen on my Samsung Galaxy S4. I wiped it off immediately and the phone seemed to be fine. However after about 5 minutes, the screen went black. I took out the battery and after an hour I put it back in and tried to restart it. It vibrated like it normally does to restart and the blue notification light came on like it normally does, but the screen is still black and seems unresponsive. Is there any way that I can fix this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    04-02-2015 06:40 PM
  2. belodion's Avatar
    Welcome to Android Central.

    It's usually water or a water-based liquid that gets spilled, and we have a stock reply for that. However, nail-varnish remover, whether acetone-based or not, is different stuff and I don't know that the treatment given for water damage would be of any use. It isn't of much use for water-damaged phones unless you are are very quick. In your case it may be best to open the device as much as you can to facilitate evaporation of the solvent. However, if the solvent contains any water, it may be best to try the water treatment....although by now, it would almost certainly be too late. Anyway, here is Rukbat's guide:

    Posted via the Android Central App
    04-02-2015 07:12 PM
  3. Raptor007's Avatar
    You can opt to replace your screen. Here is their guide to repairing https://www.ifixit.com/Device/Samsung_Galaxy_S4 and their teardown guide as well https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Sams...Teardown/13947 and normally I would say go to www.cnn.cn and that is not CNN's China news site. Its a place I have personally used to buy parts from that are OEM from China when I had BlackBerry's and other devices.

    Oddly though the site is not working but here is their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/wwwcnncn
    04-02-2015 08:54 PM
  4. Rukbat's Avatar
    1) I don't recommend replacing your own screen unless you've had at least a little training. The usual outcome of the first 3 or 4 tries is a broken screen or a melted phone. (That's why repair shops keep phones it doesn't pay to repair. New techs get to learn on them. Like in medical school, you can't kill a corpse.)

    2) The acetone probably leaked under the glass and dissolved the outer membrane of the screen under the glass - pretty much destroying the screen. If it went further, it could have destroyed other things inside the phone. I'd find a repair shop with a good reputation for competence and honesty and see what they think.

    Acetone (Dimethyl formaldehyde and Dimethyl ketone) is a poisonous solvent - it dissolves varnishes (like insulation), plastics (like components), glues (like what holds parts of the phone together). Considering the danger to your health from breathing acetone fumes [especially to a woman's health], and the fact that you hold the phone pretty close to your nose and mouth, you're playing Russian Roulette with a 6 shooter with about 3 or 4 bullets in it.

    Once the acetone has evaporated, the danger from the fumes is gone, and what's inside the phone isn't dangerous unless you open the phone up and ingest the residue, but acetone is absorbed through the skin, so using it as a nail polish remover isn't a really great idea. Ethyl acetate (the solvent used in nail polish) is a lot safer and just as effective. (It's still not something you'd want a small child to drink out of curiosity.)
    04-03-2015 01:21 AM

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-15-2015, 04:13 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-04-2015, 08:05 PM
  3. Softcard ends and no way to uninstall.
    By mhall26 in forum LG G3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-04-2015, 05:21 PM
  4. Did the Galaxy core prime have multi screen feature like the Note 4 did?
    By gfederline9 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-03-2015, 07:24 PM
  5. What is storage settings ?
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2015, 07:02 PM