my samsumg s5 didn't recognize my fingerprint , so now it wants an alternativepassword

kdavis2014

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy s5 didn't recognize my fingerprint and i ran out of attempts to unlock it. It then requested my Alternative Password (which there isn't one). What do I do? I don't want to factoory reset. I logged into my google from my laptop, went to "android device manager" and clicked on LOCK, put in a new password, and then tried putting THAT password in my phone as the "alternative password" but it didn't work either, the phone just said I had one less attempt before it would factory reset. What do I do????

Yousef Muslih

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
What do u mean there isn't one when u setup the finger print scanner it asks you to put in a alternative password in situations like this it's not the same password u set up for your lock screen it's the password u put in right after u put in your finger print u must remember.

Posted via the Android Central App

kdavis2014

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I've tried that, three times. I logged in via my google account, went to Android Device manager, hit LOCK and put in a new password, then used THAT password as my alternative password but it didn't work. The phone just told me I have one less attempt left :( The last time this happened I used the android device manager BEFORE I ran out of "fingerprint" attempts and it worked. This time I ran out of fingerprint attempts and now moved to "alternative password" screen. Anyone know what to do????

What happens on a factory reset? Will my pics and music be restored from Google?

kdavis2014

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I put in those passcodes, as you suggested , and they didn't work.....when I try using the android device manager it says it's already locked and no code needed, so that isn't working either :( Any other suggestions?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I put in those passcodes, as you suggested , and they didn't work.....when I try using the android device manager it says it's already locked and no code needed, so that isn't working either :( Any other suggestions?
Yeh, that's a new thing ADM is telling people with Lollipop. I tried it again recently with my Note 3 and it works fine on 4.4.2.

I can have a look in the S5 forums later, or you can ask there or in Android Central Community - General Help and How To.

It does seem a bummer. Very infuriating for you.

kdavis2014

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
thanks :) Definately let me know what you find. I'm so frustrated, I'm ready to just facory reset and move on with life and hope that I don't lose to much ...I've got my taxes to work on, etc and have been looking for 2 days on how to save my phone info :(

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I could only find one long thread with no input from site ambassadors. Some tips may help you, but possibly not.

I would prefer you ask in Introductions or General Help and How To, under Android Central Community. Site ambassadors answer there.

I don't know why this hasn't been taken seriously. It was OK until they changed Android Device Manager, apparently.

So you Locked with ADM, with a screen message and alternative contact number so you know the new Lock has been set.

You tried your Gmail password as the alternative password and that doesn't work.

You cannot try the finger scanner again with cleaned and dry fingers as one post suggested.
You can't delete your fingerprints as you can't get in.

Give this thread a read anyhow, and try the other forums above.

Sorry I can't help more.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=435165

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that in order to set the fingerprint unlock method, you are required to select an alternative password. The phone isn't supposed to allow you to proceed with the fingerprint selection otherwise. Think back--it must have prompted you, and you must have entered something.

Posted via Android Central App.
Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech