New smartphone - small display

A

AC Question

I'm buying a new phone and I'm having a hard time finding a phone that would fit my requirements:

1. small (I have HTC Sensation and for me, the size is ideal) - 4.3 to 4.7 display, doesn't have to be extra thin

2. I'm fine with low pixel density (256ppi is enough for me), I don't need some qHD phone, that drains all my battery in a day

3. good battery life

4. good enough CPU & RAM to run most recent version of Android for a few next years

5. good camera (no, I don't need some 10000 MPx camera, I want high ISO, good focus,... - sort of like iPhone)

6. durable (must be able to withstand fall on concrete without case) - I'm OK with heavier body - full-metal phones,...

7. good speakers & microphone

8. I'm not really interested in default software - first thing I will probably do is rooting & CyanogenMod installation

9. SD card support

10. hardware buttons - home, context menu, back button - not necessary, but nice

11. low number of gotchas

12. good GPS

13. support for local LTE frequencies (800, 900, 1800, 2100)

To give you context - I have HTC Sensation and I'm totally fine with it, but the screen is ceasing to work (part of the digitizer stopped registering touches, ghost touches,...) & I can't run Android 5.0 (CM12) smoothly, because the CPU and RAM are too weak.

I looked on Sony z1 and z3 compacts and they almost fit my requirements, except for missing hardware buttons, bad speakers, durability (glass back easily scratched) and usb cover.

I'm mostly using the phone to browse the internet, call, send SMS, listen to music (I'm not an audiophile, but I can hear a difference between 256 kbps and flac), occasionally take photos and watch movies. I consider myself a power user (I'm programmer, I know how to root, use fastboot, recovery, bootloader,..., install Android flavors - CM,...) and I know a few things about hardware - what specs are important,...

Lastly, I would like to avoid brands like Samsung, Huawei,...
I have no problem with Xiaomi and other proved and working Asian brands.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm buying a new phone and I'm having a hard time finding a phone that would fit my requirements:

1. small (I have HTC Sensation and for me, the size is ideal) - 4.3 to 4.7 display, doesn't have to be extra thin

2. I'm fine with low pixel density (256ppi is enough for me), I don't need some qHD phone, that drains all my battery in a day

3. good battery life

4. good enough CPU & RAM to run most recent version of Android for a few next years

5. good camera (no, I don't need some 10000 MPx camera, I want high ISO, good focus,... - sort of like iPhone)

6. durable (must be able to withstand fall on concrete without case) - I'm OK with heavier body - full-metal phones,...

7. good speakers & microphone

8. I'm not really interested in default software - first thing I will probably do is rooting & CyanogenMod installation

9. SD card support

10. hardware buttons - home, context menu, back button - not necessary, but nice

11. low number of gotchas

12. good GPS

13. support for local LTE frequencies (800, 900, 1800, 2100)

To give you context - I have HTC Sensation and I'm totally fine with it, but the screen is ceasing to work (part of the digitizer stopped registering touches, ghost touches,...) & I can't run Android 5.0 (CM12) smoothly, because the CPU and RAM are too weak.

I looked on Sony z1 and z3 compacts and they almost fit my requirements, except for missing hardware buttons, bad speakers, durability (glass back easily scratched) and usb cover.

I'm mostly using the phone to browse the internet, call, send SMS, listen to music (I'm not an audiophile, but I can hear a difference between 256 kbps and flac), occasionally take photos and watch movies. I consider myself a power user (I'm programmer, I know how to root, use fastboot, recovery, bootloader,..., install Android flavors - CM,...) and I know a few things about hardware - what specs are important,...

Lastly, I would like to avoid brands like Samsung, Huawei,...
I have no problem with Xiaomi and other proved and working Asian brands.

Welcome to Android Central!

Take a look at the phones made by a company call BLU. They make some pretty nice phones for a nice price. I have a couple of co-workers that have them and they love them.

http://www.amazon.com/BLU-Products?...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU4338056