What does .face mean (it is on my phone under miscellaneous files)?

A

AC Question

what does .face mean? It's on my phone under miscellaneous files

I'm trying to clear space on my phone so I went under storage and miscellaneous files is using up a lot of space. So I went there and there is something called '.face' and I want to know if I can delete it or not.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: what does .face mean? It's on my phone under miscellaneous files

Welcome to Android Central! Which phone do you have? Maybe that file has something to do with facial recognition for face unlock.

JohnnyChi12-17

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
I am trying to clean up data on my Samsung 5.I believe it's a Galaxy 5. Does that make sense? There is a LOT under Misc Files.. Face, that's a dot face, it won't let me write it, but I merely would like to know what it is, and can I get rid of it. Also VAULT. What's that one? My frustration mounts...

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central. :)

It may be best to leave those files alone and unless you're very confident of what you're doing.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Any developer can name any file anything, so the file name, unless it's a common one and everyone knows what it is - like .nomeda or hosts - doesn't tell us what the file is. (I have my password file named something that's normally used for something else that no one would be interested in.)

Aug 7, 2016
Visit site
Since I activated gmail on this phone a month ago - July - having avoided doing this since I got the phone last August so 11 months of joyous update-free phone use, I have now had so many constant 'update this update that' crap that I never use, '6 apps updated' thanks for that, NOT - that I now get constant data-storage warnings. .face is 30MB. Which makes it a pretty big target for 'useless and delete' ... any reason why not? Maybe two or three of my contacts have an image next to them ... don't use faces for anything else. It isn't my fault I have to delete it, it is all the programmes that I don't use but can't delete because I get warnings that deleting them will destroy the phone. So, can .face go? Anyone at Android/Galaxy reading this - please make it easier to delete sh*t I don't use and don't want and stop eating up storage by updating it all the time.

Maxmill

Apr 14, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to reopen this old thread. But.

I have the same question. And the same phone. Galaxy S5.
And wonder if this directory is for Facebook data as i deleted the Facebook app from my phone sometime ago but I don't think all folders get removed when apps are removed....

Thanks