Should aggressive handover between WiFi and Cellular be on??

Rutz1104

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
In lollipop 5.1 developer mode there is an option which say " Aggressive handover between WiFi and Cellular ". Does this option helps to save battery than than the regular handover.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 150.jpg
    150.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 23

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any "handover" will disconnect you from some sites (and the more secure the site, the more likely it is to happen). I'd worry more about that than about battery life.

When the site sees you suddenly coming from a different IP address (which happens when you change from wireless data to wifi or the other way around), the site says "wait a minute - this looks like the connection's been hijacked" and closes the session, basically disconnecting you. ("Basically", because the web is a disconnected model, so you're never really "connected".)

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
(Landed on this thread thread while researching the setting under Marshmallow.)

Not sure I understand the answer above. According to this post on StackExchange, the developer option tweaks a setting which Wi-Fi State Machine to uses to decide to abandon a weak wi-fi signal and start using your cellular data connection.

Does it save your battery? Maybe. If it stops the wi-fi radio from expending energy on a weak AP connection, particularly during data transfer, and that saves power, sure. But I'd guess it has a negligible effect on battery because the radios are doing this switching anyway, just sooner with this enabled, as you move further out of range of the wi-fi AP.

BTW, I am not a network engineer, don't even play one on TV. Take my answer with a grain of salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz