My S5 opens to the alternate password page, bypassing fingerprint recognition page

notelecs

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
When I turn my phone on, it goes to the alternate password page and as far as I remember, I didn't put in a password. What do I have to do?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to the forums.

As I understand it, you cannot set up the fingerprint security without also setting up an alternate password.
You may be able to gain access online using your Google account details.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
belodion is correct--when you set up your fingerprint lock, it required you to select an alternate PIN, which is different from any other PIN or password you may have selected for other forms of screen unlock. So you need to remember what you selected as an alternate PIN. This kind of information is very important to remember for just these kinds of situations, because the fingerprint unlock seems to fail with some regularity, based on the posts in these forums.

If you just can't remember it, then you may be forced to do a factory reset: http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10404. That will unfortunately mean losing your locally saved data, so hopefully you had been backing up or syncing data on a regular basis. In the future, if you're prone to forgetting important passwords, consider writing them down and keeping them somewhere safe at home. Good luck!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Contacting Samsung might be an option. But if the phone doesn't send a copy of your own PIN to Samsung, there is probably nothing they can do short of resetting the device.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781