Verizon samsung galaxy s6 wifi connectivity issues.

A

AC Question

I just got the galaxy s6 two days ago and I am already having wifi issues. The phone tells me that the signal is very strong but it cannot load pages and tabs keep crashing. I have to turn off wifi and then turn it back on multiple times to fix the issue. After about 15 minutes it goes right back and continues with the same issue. I know this is not a modem or router issue because all of my other devices are connected and have no issues of loading anything work perfect. Just posting to see if anybody else has this same issue. Please keep me informed if you have found a fix. Thank you!

rank78

Feb 5, 2010
Visit site
I have a Sprint S6 Edge with similar issues. I posted a thread on XDA and a few others are in the same boat

forum.xda-developers.
com
/galaxy-s6-edge/help/wifi-dropping-t3079504

I exchanged my Edge at Best Buy and the wifi problem persists. :'(

bigj954

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
So I got a Verizon branded Samsung Galaxy S6 on launch day and 6 days after I got the device the wifi went out and from that day I have not been able to use wifi at all. What is happening is the phone is still connecting to all the networks, but then anything on the phone that requires internet tells me it could not establish a connection. I normally connect at home where I have a 5GHZ privet network with 120Mbps(getting faster speed than that at times) and I also have the capability to connect to 2.4GHz with in the same network. Also, while this is going on for my 5GHz home network the phone is telling me that I'm getting a very strong signal with 866Mbps coming in and I tried numerous other private networks and still the same thing keeps recurring. Also, I 1st tried to for get the network and put it back on and that did not work, and I also did 2 factory resets. On top of that customer care for some reason is not knowledgeable with the S6 at all they tried to tell me to use Kies to do what is equal to a iTunes reset for the iPhone, but Kies does not support the S6 at all so they had no other solution for me. Then for some reason they would not even let me get a replacement device from them on the phone or in store even after doing 2 factory resets(and they claimed they need me to do a factory reset 1st before they replace it, but still the answer no so far). I just hope Google steps it up and rolls out a an update with a patch to fix this ASAP! especially now that I'm starting to see it's not an isolated insolent.

bigj954

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Here's an update of what's going on with my situation, as of today(4-28) I'm still having issues with the wifi. I went to a second Verizon corporate store and that store general manager advised me not to change my phone again(this would be my 3rd phone if I would have replaced it then) because he said at that specific corporate store a lot of people are coming in for the same wifi issue and end up coming back because even though they got a replacement device the wifi issue still persist on the replacement device even if they set up the replacement phone as a new phone. He also went on to say that he didn't want me to waste my time setting it up getting the apps and having to go through all this trouble again for the issue to still be there after that, he's trying to save me the hassle and time.

Then Verizon tech coach(Tire 1&2, warranty department) is really not knowledgeable about the S6 at all and for some reason they are refusing to give me a new phone via warranty even before I even got the first replacement phone. They were trying to say that I could get a replacement brand new device, but I would have to pay the full retail amount on a credit card at that time then we send you the phone and then you send back the old phone and once we receive your old phone we will refund you the money, and it is an actual charge not a deposit or hold. I believe they just we're trying to get me to buy a new device and were never going to give me the money back and it was a scam Verizon is trying to pull on me.

Then with the Samsung tech support they want me to send in the phone and remain without a phone for at least 10 days, because they claim they know nothing about any wifi issues at all(but Verizon knows about it and it pops up in their system), and they want to check my phone out supposedly to fix every device thats having this issue once and for all and they need to see the phone in order to do so.
I talked to Samsung on their Facebook support page and even went as far as making a video of me showing it not working, and they still did not believe and they wanted to do basic troubleshooting that I've done a million times to try to get the wifi to work. ended up getting in a fight with them on dear Facebook support page

I don't know what to do anymore I'm lost and now frustrated!

Last edited:

ThePiePieper

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm having the same issue and have tried just about everything I can. I originally thought it was just my Facebook app, but I've noticed it more and more with other apps. I've changed phone settings, app settings, and network settings, with no results. I believe it's a defect in the phone and here is why. My fiance and I both got S6s from Verizon at the same time. She really isn't tech savvy and has left her phone pretty much as it came out of the box. We are on the same home network and her phone runs noticeably faster while using the same apps. Even after resetting to factory default 3 times and leaving all settings alone, I am still having the same issue.
Being that I haven't seen much on this issue outside of this thread, I may give it another day or two before I request an exchange.
Thanks in advance to anyone else that has an idea of how to fix this.

Reese Mitchell

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Hello everyone. I am back I think I have a solution to everyone problem. bigj954 I wrote this just for you. It should work for everyone. here is what you will need.

1. plex
2. phone tester Phone Tester (sensors, GPS...) the guy who created is named Miguel Torres the app look like a computer chip you can get it from the play store.
3. fing by overlook you can get it also from the play store.

1. ok the first thing you want to do is go to phone tester WHILE YOUR ON WIFI in the app open wifi status and see if it just give you a mac address and or an external ip address if 90% of it is blank or missing in phone tester it could just be your network even thought everything else is working.

2. if you have plex see if you can stream movies on your LOCAL NETWORK with no problem. like scrub the movie and everything. with plex i had no problem streaming a movie to my phone or having pics from movies load up while i was on wifi. NOTE: DON'T put the username and password in to plex where it will stream it over the internet we are just testing the internal ip...

if you want you can do the same thing using airdroid and see if your speed is slow sending and reciving files thew wifi.

If you don't have a problem it might be your wirless setup like how you have your internal ip. What I end up doing was creating in bridge from my comcast modem to my wireless modem.

and from that i was able to go on phone tester and check and see if everything was working right. in other words you might have to create a bridge.

IF YOU WANT TO SKIP ALL I SAID JUST TRY TO CREATE A BRIDGE.and get it to automatically obtain the ip address. please someone let me know if this works for them.

decomush

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem and this worked for me:

"Based on what you've said there's a good chance your issue is related to the bugged Android System Webview update. Could you look under App Manager > All and see if you're running version 37 or 42?
If it's 42 try rolling back to v37 by uninstalling it from either the app manager or play store. The newest version has been giving a lot of people issues."

bigj954

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
i turned off smart network switch in wifi settings and it fixed the problem
Well my smart switch was already turned off on my phone completely and never was turned on at all! The only way I got the phone to work after talking to Verizon and Samsung at all levels at least 10 times and doing almost everything online from this fourm, other fourms, Got To Be Mobile, and IB Times is removing the SIM card and the metal framing(witch I saw on a different fourm I'm involved in relating to this topic) on all the replacement devices and the original device and the wifi then works the whole time. But then I don't get any cell service only the wifi until I stick the SIM card back in, but once I stick the SIM card back in the wifi completely stops working again. Also, Verizon tech coach highest level like 4 levels up told me that it has to do with the framework and the Smart Switch software wise(with in lollipop because the same exact wifi issues are also happening on the note 3 & 4 with people who upgrade to lollipop, witch I already knew) and he went on to say that the ports that closes the mobile data and ports that opens the wifi and vice versa is not working, especially when I told him about the SIM card removal witch worked for me. Also, as of May 3rd Samsung has officially been investigating the wifi situation and is going to have a fix for it officially, it's coming from Verizon telling me from a memo they got from Samsung directly. So as far as an official fix we have to play the waiting game and just wait untill Samsung releases a patch to fix this which hopefully they will soon. But in the meantime you can look online and do some research to find some home remedies to at least fix this temporarily.

Also, Verizon went on to tell me that they saw that I keep going over my mobile data recently, but months before this I have not went over due to having wifi working so they said once the wifi gets fixed I call in and then they're going to credit me every single data overage I used since the first time I called and they started documenting the wifi because I have enough notes and enough stuff I've done with Verizon to be able to get this refund for all my data overages. I just wanted to tell you that so you guys should call in and get a refund once the wifi patch officially comes out!

Last edited:

umer7777

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Verizon samsung galaxy s6 mobile data Internet issues

My mobile data network suddenly stopped working 2 days ago, although 3G sign is still shown and I changed the Sims twice but both Sims worked fine in other phones, settings are same as before, I have tried reset settinga too but no use, pls advise what to do

arnoldprasad-ac

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
What worked for me is that I forgot the network I was trying to connect to. Turned off S6. I then logged into WiFi router and forgot previously connected devices, rebooted phone, selected and connected (after rekeying password) and that seemed to have worked. I say seemed because I want to test over the next day or so. Hope this helps. I tried all other suggestions in this thread and nothing worked.

Rilesx3

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I'm embarrassed to admit this, but this is what resolved my problem. Maybe it'll help someone else:

I would enter my Wifi password in the settings area of the S6. The password window would disappear, and if I tried to open the network again it would not allow me to re-enter a password, so I assumed it was correct and connected (or trying to connect). Yet when I opened Chrome, it clearly said I wasn't connected to Wifi (nor was the wifi symbol showing at the top of the phone).

The problem: it was asking for my Wifi password, which I thought was the same password I could change by logging in to my router settings (at "192.17.143.xy...."). In fact, I could've sworn that's the password I had used to connect my nephew's tablet and other devices to my wifi. However, the S6, although it asks for "Wifi password", it wants your 10 digit alphanumeric code (in my case, my WEP-64 bit key). It looked something like "1XY50B794L" (completely made that one up though).

Sadly, I even consider myself pretty tech savvy. So if you've restarted your phone, router, changed the encryption, and have done everything else, you may just want to make sure that you're putting in the static code and not any kind of personal password. My 10 digit code was found both on a sticker on my router and on the basic security settings screen of my router's webpage. Hope that helps!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
However, the S6, although it asks for "Wifi password", it wants your 10 digit alphanumeric code (in my case, my WEP-64 bit key).
You do realize that there are free apps hat can get a WEP password in about 60 seconds (less, if there's a lot of data flowing), right?

You should using at least WPA2 Personal.

Michael Pecikonis

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
HEY GUYS I HAVE FINNALY FOUND THE REAL FIX TO THIS PROBLEM. New to this FORUM btw, but I read it alot. I have the s6 Edge on Verizon and even though I'm showing full wifi signal and so was my wife's s5(she's on att&t) neither of us could barely get a page to load. I've done everything. Set manual channels. Disabled everything you can think of that might cause it on the phone. Disabled ipv6 in the router settings. Factory reset. Cache clean. Anything you can think of I've done it. Even tried to manually change the DNS to Google or something else. That didn't work but DNS IS THE PROBLEM. There's a problem with lollipop and DNS. And they are probably going to send an update eventually to fix it but I wasn't about to wait and I know my wife's s5 wouldn't get it.

So I was ready to return it. Anyway out if nowhere I found THE SOLUTION AND THE APP THAT FIXES IT IMMEDIATELY TODAY. Go to the to the play store and download DNS SET. Forget your connection and re enter your WiFi password. Then open the DNSet app and check off auto run. Then hit the run button. INSTANT FIX! I SWEAR TO GOD. You have no idea how happy I was to see this work. I stopped a it and reopened it many times to see if it would always work and it does. Instant loads. Super fast speed. Christ I was outside of my house and even there everything was loading instantly like it should. YouTube instantaneous. Anything. It fixes the problem. Believe me I went through this and it works and it takes 5 mins to do it at most. It's was a life savor. Don't return your phone or get frustrated and say screw it. This works and I couldn't wait to frigging share it with everyone because I know how can frustrating it is. I was about to return my s6 edge today. Swear to God. The only thing it didn't work in was my friends s5 today on sprint and I don't know why. Something to do with sprint maybe. But it definitely works with verizon and attt.

JUST A HEADS UP, I did leave the ipV6 disabled on my router and I still have WiFi direct disabled on my phone because I was afraid to change anything after this worked. Might have nothing to do with it but if for some crazy reason this app doesn't work, disable that and it will be fine. All my other settings on the router are normal. Auto channel and AES/TPIK are still on. Anyway This works and I was happy to help so I posted. Let me know of it works u for you guys. And spread the word so people aren't dealing with this ****. It's not right. Let me know how you make out. I'm on wifi as we speak. Take care

Last edited: