Making the switch, what is the best budget/entry smartphone?

checkmate81x

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi, had WP for a while, got tired of not having many app friends use and want a new OS, and love the customization options with Android.

So my question is what is the best entry level smartphone on a budget (max $400). My top prospects include:

ASUS Zenfone 2 (waiting for US release...)
Moto G
Huawei Ascend Mate 7

Would anyone recommend anything else not listed above (or the top choice from above)?

Definitely like the bigger screen and expandable memory options.

Thanks a lot for your input and I'm excited to experience Android!

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hi, had WP for a while, got tired of not having many app friends use and want a new OS, and love the customization options with Android.

So my question is what is the best entry level smartphone on a budget (max $400). My top prospects include:

ASUS Zenfone 2 (waiting for US release...)
Moto G
Huawei Ascend Mate 7

Would anyone recommend anything else not listed above (or the top choice from above)?

Definitely like the bigger screen and expandable memory options.

Thanks a lot for your input and I'm excited to experience Android!
The Moto G is a good device to get started with. It's a good buy considering what you get, and you'll have extra money to put away towards accessories or a future device.

If you are open to considering "older" devices, then I would suggest picking up a Nexus 5 or even last years (or the year before) flagships. There are good deals from time-to-time and you won't be disappointed with paying a steep discount for an older flagship until you are ready to move onto something new.

checkmate81x

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply, but I'm thinking of something more current. The p8 possibily, and just read about bluboo's x550 phone that looks awesome (5.5 in display, 5300 mAh battery, Android 5.1 for $169 off contract) and is a pretty decent value, but haven't heard too much about them

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Any phone you haven't heard much about is most likely a Chinese "sort of" Android phone. If you need assistance, ROMs, parts - you buy a new phone. It's cheaper to pay a little more and stick with the name brands. Then, when your phone suddenly won't get past the carrier's logo, someone can take you through the process step by step to get it working again - because tens of thousands of people have the same phone, and some of them (like some of the developers on XDA forums) know the phone better than the people who developed it. (Developers know what they put into the phone, but they haven't spent months playing with it to find out what it can do that it wasn't designed to do - they get paid to develop phones. The people on XDA push things way past the limit.)

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
The cheapest i would say from Xiaomi.

Buy the 2GB ram options: redmi note, redmi note 4G. (in asia Even if you root your phone you still covered under warranty).

Sent using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star