Broken Ellipsis 8 screen replacement fix it repair

A

AC Question

Recently purchased a verizon Ellipsis 8 from the Verizon store, within 2 months the screen cracked.... have now been looking online for a while to find a replacement screen online but have been unable to find. Does anybody know where/how to replace, or what the part number is for purchasing a replacement?

Any information would be helpful, thanks for your help

Kat NChains

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
The ellipsis 7 is the easiest tablet I've ever repaired and I doubt the 8 is much harder. You can get a new screen on ebay for $19 if you shop around. I have a great vendor from China that has been fast and quality.

Basically you pry the back off gently. Carefully remove the screws. I recommend using an egg carton to keep the screws and parts together. The wireless antennas are soldered on one end and little snap in connectors at the other end. Gently pop them off with a fingernail and set them aside with their screws. I took pictures each time before I took a piece off so I had an idea of how to put it back on. (Common sense but some times you only think of it once you're a couple of pieces into the project.)

There are a couple of ribbon cables. They slide into connectors. Make sure you are very careful to slide them out gently and at the same angle they are at in the connector. I angled one up a little as I pulled it out and the connector popped. Never got it back together reliably. But they're safe as long as you're gentle. I used tweezers from then on to make sure I was keeping the angle steady.

The hardest part is to get the broken glass off the front plastic bezel. A heat gun is best but a hair dryer would probably work. I use a utility knife and you pry up a corner of the glass and just slowly work your way around between the glass and the plastic. They have the worlds strongest doublesided sticky tape in there and it's best to keep it heated so you don't gouge up your plastic.

Once the old glass is out, which will have cracked into tiny pieces during removal, clean up the remaining sticky tape on the plastic because it will affect how the new glass lies. If it's not flat the glass won't lay in the bezel properly. If you pulled it all out, don't worry because you can use some scotch poster tape and get the same results. Before you throw the old glass out you need to remove the LCD very,very carefully. Gently work your blade around the outer quarter inch to cut the adhesive. Don't angle the blade and don't got in too much further because if you score the LCD you will forever see it in the image.

Lay the new glass into the plastic bezel. Be careful of the ribbon cable. Use some alcohol wipes to clean the lcd of smudges, fingerprints and tape residue before you lay it against the new glass. I found it was easiest to attach the ribbon cables before I laid the boards all the way in place because the ribbon cables are pretty tight for length. Put everything back and enjoy a new clean crackless tablet. :cool: