Why won't Android 4.4.2 let you move data from apps to the sd card?

A

AC Question

I have a HP 10 tablet with 16GB of memory. When I tried to update some Google apps I got an error about insufficient space. So I went into settings to try and move some of the data from some apps to my sd card. No matter what app I pulled up (Angry Birds, slot games) The option to move to the sd card was not there. Did they get rid of this option with the new release?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did the device have the option before the system update? The ability to move apps to SD is dependent on the device as well as individual apps. Not all devices give you the option.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And an app can only write to a folder it owns. That used to be true only for internal storage - as of KitKat, it's true for all storage, including the external SD card. NextApp SDFix: KitKat Writable MicroSD (root) (and a few other apps that do the same thing) will change it back, or you can do it manually with a text editor - but the phone has to be rooted, since the file that has to be changed is in a system folder (and only root has the right to write to them).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon