Why can't I send/receive MMS when connected to wifi?

A

AC Question

When my phone is connected to wifi and I attempt to send a picture or contact I will get a pop up that says "Could not send, will send when service becomes available" or it will attempt for a number of minutes and then say under the message "Could not send".
When someone sends me an MMS it shows up as "Message not downloaded" when I hold on the message and then click download it simply says "Could not download".

Now I know the workaround is to disconnect from wifi and then send/receive the MMS, however, I find this completely stupid and unacceptable. Why should I have to go into my settings and turn off wifi every time I want to send or receive a picture? This causes a problem when I'm trying to send a contact to someone for work only to find out that the message did not go through 5 minutes later because I forgot this extra step of turning wifi off. Or I forget that I had to turn off wifi to receive a picture and go on about my usual usage only to find out that I've been eating up my data plan in my own house. Oh, and here's the kicker: If I've turned wifi off to send/receive MMS and turn it back on, it seems to work for a while; meaning I can send/receive MMS while connected to wifi. I don't know how long this lasts but it's less than 24 hours because I do this every day.
I've seen other posts that numerous people suggest to turn on mobile data, mine is never turned off. I don't understand how a phone these days would be incapable of using mobile data while being connected to wifi. I never had this issue with iPhone and AT&T.

This is my info Verizon - Sony Xperia z3V - Android 4.4.4

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's odd--the phone is supposed to know when it should revert to mobile data for MMS when you have both wi-fi and mobile data turned on. Ask Verizon if they have any thoughts on this. If they don't have a solution, they might go as far as offering to give you a replacement phone.