Why won't Play Store download or update apps?

A

AC Question

Play Store will not Download or Update Apps

First, lets get this out of the way:

I've cleared the Google Services cache, rolled back updates.

I've cleared the Download Manager cache, rolled back updates.

I've cleared the Google Play Store cache, rolled back updates.

I've cleared the cache and rolled back updates on literally every service that might be tangentially related to networking or Google.

I've deleted my Google Account off my tablet, I've used a different Google Account on the tablet.

It is a tablet, it doesn't have data restrictions.

I've tried connecting to two different wireless networks.

It connects to the internet fine.

I've done all of the above after a factory reset made from recovery mode.

I have a Toughpad JT-B1 that will NOT download anything through play store. If you download an APK from elsewhere on the internet, it works fine. But Google Play does not work.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Play Store will not Download or Update Apps

Welcome to Android Central! Thanks for all of that info. What actually happens when you try to install an app from Google Play? Any error message? Do you see the animated progress line go forever without result? Or does nothing happen at all?

Although it's not supposed to matter for free apps, go to your account in Google Play Store and make sure you have a valid credit card associated with it.

Cemicac

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

The progress line just sits there forever on downloading. The primary account I have been using has a card associated with it.

Is there any sort of error log Android creates? I have SDK-Tools installed, I could always use adb to look at an error file if one exists....

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site

Ugh I had this before its a known issue. I can't remember how I solved it at present but if I recall, I'll come back and share. For now switch to an alternative app store like SlideME or mobogenie.

I can't remember what I did to solve it. I might have even removed and re flashed my GApps file

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

After you rolled back updates for Google Play Services, did you then make sure the most current version got installed?

jrstark

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Google is not having a good week. Almost all the recent reviews on Google Play Services are complaining about errors and crashing. I can't roll back updates on my phone, had to uninstall Google Play Services to stop the constant errors. The version from 1mobile market does the same thing. My Play Store opens but never loads My Apps. I'm just going to let it sit a few days until they fix it. AFAIK play services mostly controls updates although some apps may need it.

Cemicac

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

Ah yes, I forgot the "updated Google apps" part. I did update Google Services, nada. Reviewing log cat, this is what I get:

W/ActivityManager( 302): Unable to start service Intent { act=com.google.androi
d.gms.fitness.aggregate flg=0x4 cmp=com.google.android.gms/.fitness.store.mainte
nance.StoreMaintenanceService (has extras) }: not found
I/ElegantRequestDirector( 1208): I/O exception (org.apache.http.NoHttpResponseEx
ception) caught when processing request: The target server failed to respond
I/ElegantRequestDirector( 1208): Retrying request
I/ElegantRequestDirector( 1208): I/O exception (org.apache.http.NoHttpResponseEx
ception) caught when processing request: The target server failed to respond
I/ElegantRequestDirector( 1208): Retrying request
I/installd( 168): free_cache(3151848) avail 12145995776
I/DownloadManager( 469): Initiating request for download 9
I/DownloadManager( 469): Initiating request for download 9
I/wpa_supplicant( 467): ctrl_iface: SIGNAL_POLL
W/DownloadManager( 469): Aborting request for download 9: while trying to execu
te request: javax.net.ssl.SSLException: SSL handshake aborted: ssl=0x1ba0d60: I/
O error during system call, Connection reset by peer

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Try rebooting your router. Also check and make sure you do have enough room to download apps. I had to double check w/an app called storage analyzer and I had to delete some cache and data that I couldn't see otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22