Lollipop update fried my SD card. Can anyone help with data retrieval?

A

AC Question

After installing lollipop i attempted to move some of my games to the SD card to give the phone storage more room. Message popped up saying SD card removed. I hadn't touched it. Now neither my Samsung Note 3 or my computer will even see the SD card.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If the computer can see the card (if you're running Windows, look in Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management - if the filesystem was destroyed, Windows itself won't see the card), it's trivial. Download PhotoRec. With the card in th computer, try to follow the steps in PhotoRec Step By Step (you'll be dealing with Linux naming conventions, so take your time if you're not comfortable in Linux). It can take hours to recover everything on a large card, so just let it run and check on it every half hour or so, in case there are any popups you have to answer.

If the files are still on the memory chip in the card (there's more than just a memory chip, it's a whole computer), PhotoRec will recover them.

If nothing can recognize the card, you can't recover the files. However, if it's a SanDisk card, go to SanDisk Online RMA Request and fill out a request. At least you can get the card replaced. (And from now on, have anything important backed up off the phone.)

ph0tin0

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Found this out... for anybody who finds himself with a fried SD Card, whereby your phone or computer does not recognize it, trying putting it into a camera. My Lexar 32gb mini SD card, just randomly stopped working, tried putting into different phones, and even several card readers and no computer would even register a card. I put the card into my Canon Mark5 II and voila, the camera recognized the card immediately but required me to format the card and it worked fine. Took it out of the camera, plugged into my computer, the computer recognized the card, but also required that I format it. After all that I ran a free data recovery program and recovered I would %99 of all my data. FYI - do not take any pictures after you format the card from your camera if you intend on recovering data, every picture you take can very possibly overwrite some of your data. Hope this helps. Also, I've noticed people with this type of problem are people who have Samsung phones particularly Galaxy line of phones, so be forwarned.