Why since update does my alarm not sound if it is on silent?

A

AC Question

I work nights, so i sleep during the day when normal people are awake. I turn my phone on silent so i don't hear calls or texts come through while i'm sleeping. Now since the update (along with other problems my husband says) my alarm no longer goes off in silent mode only in vibrate which will wake me up if something comes through!!!!! I hate this phone !! Why did this change? Just realized this was a problem today when my husband's alarm didn't go off because i put it on silent after being woke by a text message. This is such a inconvenience!!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Which phone do you have? Lollipop did change how interruptions are handled. Unfortunately, the Mute button is gone and the new 'Silent' mode does silence everything, including alarms. This is definitely not a very popular choice, which is why some manufacturers decided to modify that in their Lollipop implementations; some of them, like Samsung, did bring the Mute option back, but others haven't.

What you need to do is set your Alarm as a priority notification and then set your pone to Priority Only. That way you won't get notified of anything that's not in the Priority list but your alarm will sound off.

Have a read at this:
Ask AC: Why won't my alarm sound after the Lollipop update when on mute? | Android Central

kcnyc22

May 2, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, have tried setting priority interruptions etc and it still doesnt work when on silent...only vibrate and full sound mode. Really frustrating. Please help