Can you recommend a budget Android tablet with good community (custom ROM) support?

A

AC Question

Hi,

Long time CrackBerry contributor and on and off Android user. I'm looking for a Android tablet to complement my PlayBook (we still use the latter, but it's starting to show its age).

I don't want anything fancy or budget-heavy. I imagine many will suggest the Nexus 7 but I'd rather something even cheaper if possible.

What I'm looking for is a 7" Android tablet that has solid community/development support (ie. multiple custom roms available, preferably with newer versions of Android OS). Initially I was considering a Lenovo A1000F (hence "budget"), but it is lacking custom roms.

Any other suggestions? Preferably under or close to $100, as I just want something to pick up and play with, install roms, use basic video streaming apps like Netflix, etc.

Any help is appreciated!

anon(5597702)

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
I posted the original question. Just wanted to say thanks for your reply and recommendation! I've been eyeballing that tablet for awhile, too; looks like it'd be a good fit, apart from the lack of front facing camera (I know I didn't mention that in the original question). Would like that for the occasional family Skype session.

Tab 3 (non-lite) would cover that, but how does the Tab 2 stack up?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Those Tab 3 Lites I linked are 8 GB, so they don't have much storage either--probably around 3 GB of usable storage after accounting for the OS and preinstalled apps. That would be limiting if you wanted to install lots of apps, or very large apps.

anon(5597702)

Apr 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, all, appreciate your replies.

Will keep an eye on deals for the Tab 3. Re: lower space, I don't mind. Actually, 8-16 gig is perfect for what I plan to use it for (mainly streaming; not local storage; Skype; maybe the odd game or two). Certain ROMs, I presume, let you repartition what's available for app storage, too.

Have been hearing good things about the LePan Mini, which comes with JB 4.2.2. Unfortunately it doesn't look like there's much in the way of ROM development there. Samsung seems to fit that bill better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2