I have a GZone 4g lte commando. 8~~mb ram 400 to 600 being used w/o apps running.
    Between conatantly reading how android releases ram and the fact 512mb phones exist and do games and browsing, i am lead to believe my phone will release the ram. But instead my apps or even navagating my phone is sluggish and stalls or straight up crashes.
    First is there a way to get real time ram usage.
    Second does my phone need an entire phone's worth of dedicated ram to function or is it safe to force it to release ram.
    Also is it normal that something using 300+ ram is not in the running list?
    Few things i know thus can be skipped
    android =\= pc, disable unused apps, don't disable core apps.
    04-26-2015 05:48 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! See these articles:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...m-android.html
    RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care | Android Central

Android works by keeping RAM relatively full (anywhere from 60-80% in most cases). This doesn't mean all of those apps are actively running--what it does is to make app switching and opening more efficient. Remember that Android is not Windows, which does prefer to keep RAM as empty as possible.

Your phone's performance may have to do with other issues besides RAM management. The dual core Snapdragon S4 it has is getting a bit old. There can also be issues with memory degradation over time, due to lack of TRIM (see this article: How to Fix Android’s Bad Performance and Awful Design).

The best RAM usage indicator is the system's own--go to Settings>Apps>Running, and look there. Do not use "RAM booster" apps, because they always seem to inflate RAM usage or take up a big chunk of RAM themselves. All you have to do is compare the RAM usage reported by one of those apps (it might tell you it's pushing 90%), then exit that app and go to Settings>Apps>Running, and it will report only about 70% of RAM full. In addition, RAM boosters can be counterproductive if they automatically close apps, because the system will just open the apps again. This could set up a cycle of close-open-close-open which will only cause battery drain.
    Golfdriver97 and Crashdamage like this.
    04-27-2015 01:43 AM
    To see exactly what is using your RAM install this small, simple app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=sa.ramtruth

The Truth, simply.

Good advice from B. Diddy.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.
    B. Diddy and Golfdriver97 like this.
    04-27-2015 08:15 AM
    To see exactly what is using your RAM install this small, simple app:
    Thanks for that app suggestion--but I noticed that it still reports less free RAM than the system reports. Any idea why that is? I just ran it on my Nexus 5, and it was reporting around 480 MB free, while the System>Apps>Running menu reports around 680 MB free. I wonder if the system underreports, or if that discrepancy is due to the RAM app's own usage.
    04-27-2015 10:22 AM
    It's called RAM Truth because it tells the absolute truth. System > Apps > Running doesn't properly break down RAM. It doesn't even distinguish between what's running and what's only cached. To get a good picture of what the OS is doing install System Panel:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...systempanel.r1

But back to RAM...

RAM Truth gives complete usage results including Hibernating, Reserved, etc.
    In RAM Truth tap on one of the memory listings for a pop-up with more detail.

B. Diddy likes this.
    04-27-2015 11:50 AM
    Very interesting! Out of curiosity, do you know what component the system isn't including in its reporting? I don't have intimate Linux knowledge (which, by your signature, I'm guessing you have in abundance!), and I was trying to wrap my mind around this thread as well to try to understand better: [TOOL/SCRIPT/RC2]FreeXplain-r / freex-BETTER… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums
    04-27-2015 12:32 PM
    I'm no Linux/Android guru, just a longtime user. But thanks...

This post by one of the RAM Truth developers gives a little more simple info.

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6933449

For grins I did quick searches for 'Android free command' and 'Linux free command' and could take my pick of piles of info. Lots more than I could type out in hours.

Sorry I can't give more specific help.

B. Diddy likes this.
    04-27-2015 01:53 PM
    Op here, i installed ram truth but was unable to get it to tell me what was using ram. Is there a setting i'm missing?

Refering me back to how android uses ram, when i specifically said, i have read articles of how ram works and i understand it should be releasing ram is unhelpful. Thank you for the trim article.
    Let me specify, i am looking for a way to see realtime ram usage to see if ram is being released or not, i keep finding stuff like messaging, google play, music, (...) running but they were used dozen apps ago or not at all but they are not released.
    Did you mean manage apps>running is best for realtime ram usage, because i cannot figure out a way to use it without closing the app i wish to see how much ram is being used.
    05-15-2015 06:30 PM
    Ahhh...now I understand better just what you mean. I think this might be what you're looking for...

This article by one of the authors of Android is an excellent explanation of using Process Stats (aka procstats) to track and understand RAM usage by apps over time:

http://android-developers.blogspot.c...-your.html?m=1

I get it now that you want to actively track RAM use, not just static information. That's where the article linked above should help.

Still, take a look at these screenshots. RAM Truth gives RAM usage information like no other app. A terrific little tool. Tap on the lines of info for pop-ups with additional information.

Why isn't android releasing enough ram?-uploadfromtaptalk1431744705683.jpg

Why isn't android releasing enough ram?-uploadfromtaptalk1431744729475.jpg

Why isn't android releasing enough ram?-uploadfromtaptalk1431744743949.jpg

05-15-2015 09:53 PM
    The lte commando uses 4.1 unfortunately. Even though i would have to wait after the fact it would have helped a bunch. thanks anyways.
    05-23-2015 10:31 PM
    The lte commando uses 4.1 unfortunately. Even though i would have to wait after the fact it would have helped a bunch. thanks anyways.
    The issue i have with the truth app is it lacks ram breakdown. I mean it doesn't show what processes are using ram. Just what category ram is in.
    05-23-2015 10:40 PM
    I just found an app, system monitor. It shows app ram cpu and something i think is process id. It requires me stop actions and open a separate app so i'm just looking for a way to monitor ram while running other apps.
    05-23-2015 11:05 PM
    I've found System Panel to be an excellent tool:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...systempanel.r1

05-24-2015 08:39 AM
    Cool, i tried system panel lite, it better than the other apps i tried. But alas it too requires me to stop what i'm doing to get data. The search continues.
    Thanks for the help
    06-26-2015 12:42 PM