I've lost the Google search bar on my Galaxy s5. It's not in my widgets, where is it?

Billy54

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
I've lost the google search bar on my galaxy s5. It's not in my widgets

I've recently been removing some apps that I never use, some of them beginning with "google"

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Re: I've lost the google search bar on my galaxy s5. It's not in my widgets

Maybe you just disabled the Google app. Look for it in you app drawer / manager in the disabled tab and enable it back.

Billy54

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Samsung Galaxy S5. I haven't a clue what android version. I uninstalled the apps. (Edit) Android version 5.0

Billy54

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Are you rooted?
What does"rooted" mean?
OK I've googled it & I suppose it means have I got access to the inner workings of my phone. Even if I were 'rooted' I'd be out of my depth & be likely to cause some serious damage. I wish I hadn't messed around in the first place!.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Rooting is the process of gaining more total control over the system, which allows you to delete preinstalled or system apps or install custom versions of Android. It's powerful, but it can also be risky if you don't know what you're doing. The Google Search bar is almost always preinstalled on Android devices, so if it's gone, I was wondering if your phone had been rooted, and Google Search had been deleted somehow.

Did you get the phone brand new? If so, then it isn't rooted. But if you got it used, it's possible the previous owner rooted it.

Billy54

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site

It was brand new. I'm going to take it to an EE shop as I've done before with technical problems. They are always very helpful. Thanks for your help & for teaching me a new word!