Inexpensive backup phone?

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for and opinion on what inexpensive android phones I should look into. I have the note 4 but don't want to destroy it while at work this summer.
I want a decent phone that I can use during the week and then just swap my sim back to the Note 4 when I don't have work. I was considering a used
HTC One m7
Moto X 2014
Moto G Not sure (where to buy from)
I was hopping to find a phone for under $225 in decent shape. Are there any other phones I should look into, and out of these which would you pick?
Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which carrier?

Android Area currently has a pretty sweet deal--a 16 GB Nexus 5 for $199, activated on FreedomPop (with 1 year free of their service). But if you don't want FreedomPop, you could easily get a SIM from some other carrier. https://androidarea.com/sales/1973

Woot.com currently has the Note 2 and the Droid Maxx for $179 (refurbished): https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...-cellphones-1%3Fref%3Dcnt_wp_2&token=osgnZ06e

Groupon Goods has the 16 GB Moto X (2014) for $199 new: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...orola-moto-x-16gb-smartphone-1&token=-M5ef81l

Hope these are helpful!

adock22096

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Thanks that does help. I have AT&T so I plan on just swapping the sim into the other phones.
I know the moto x 2014 takes the nano-sim while the Note 4 takes the Micro-Sim do you know any good adapters that won't mess up sim card reader in the Note 4?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I don't have any reliable experience with that. A lot of people cut their microSIM cards themselves, then use any number of adapters out there. If cutting the microSIM makes you queasy, then bring it to your carrier store or a repair shop, and see if they can do it for you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Does the spare phone have to be an Android, or can it be just for phone calls? My "spare phone" is my old Verizon V-551. It takes a full size SIM, so I spent a whole dollar (shipping included) for a set of SIM adapters. If I have to replace it fast and grab the first deal I find, it may rip me off $20. (It's worth a quarter of that.)

Or look on Swappa for AT&T phones. There are S3s, S4s, HTC Ones, G2s, Moto X (2013)s, Moto Gs - all for under $200 in fair to excellent shape.

As far as adapters, the trick is to put the adapter on a hard flat desk top so that the SIM goes in on the top side (you may need a magnifying glass to see that). Then just push the SIM in flat until it sort of "clicks". (The older phones have the SIM just sitting on the contacts, so even a bad adapter won't cause a problem.) The good adapters, shipped, probably cost them about 55 cents, so there's no reason for anyone to save 2 cents to make a cheaper one. (The set I got is named Noosy [made in China, of course], and it's still on eBay [for $1.45 now. There are some for 99 cents, and they're probably just as good, if you want to save 46 cents].)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae