How can I power off my Galaxy S6 (not restart) when the screen is black?

A

AC Question

My device was submerged in water for approximately five minutes. I couldn't see the screen to power it off, it was in rice overnight and the battery died. In the morning, Hoping for the best, I charged it and turned it back on. Everything but the screen seems functional. I'd like to turn it off and let it dry out for another 24 hours but I'm afraid the power being on is going to cause more damage. How can I turn it off without the screen working? I'm aware of the hard restart using the power button and volume down button but I'm not looking to restart. I just want the power off. Any help with this is much appreciated. Any additional advice about repairing/recovering from water damage to the S6 is also welcome. I just got it last week, I'm pretty sick about the situation. :-(

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm afraid that the prospects for your phone are not good. Read Rukbat's guide and you'll see why:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ow-s/477140-guide-oh-no-my-phone-got-wet.html

Long-pressing the power button on the right side should power off the device, although with the display not working it may not be easy to do....you'd have to confirm the 'Power Off' option, and since you would not be able to see it, and possibly without touch sensitivity working, it might not work.

Edit. Just seen post below.

Posted via the Android Central App

jeffmd

Mar 24, 2012
Visit site
Holding down the power button for 10 seconds is the universal hard power down (no prompts, this command is part of the firmware so even if the OS is locked up, it will most likely work).

Pookalton

Oct 23, 2015
Visit site
The 10 second thing doesn't work for me.
just dropped my phone in water for about 0.2 seconds.
Screen is slightly green when activated. Holding the power button down does nothing so I tried it on another S6 that is working and it doesn't power that one off either. Might have to unlock it first, which is impossible in this situation. Phones burning a hole in the desk it's so hot.

Chris ZC

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Here's the SOLUTION to force POWER OFF.

It worked with my Galaxy S6 (G920F) on Android 5.1.1.

The thing is you must have the CHARGER PLUGGED INTO YOUR PHONE.
Then, as mentioned above, press both Volume-Down and Power keys, hold for a while and release them as soon as the screen gets black. When the phone is not charging, this procedure restarts the system, but if it's charging, it turns the power off!

(If found it accidently, when my phone was stucked in Odin Mode and I was desperately trying to shut it down in order to be able to restart it in Android recovery mode.)

Hope it will work for others too.

Robert Laughman

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site

Then, as mentioned above, press both Volume-Down and Power keys, hold for a while and release them as soon as the screen gets black. When the phone is not charging, this procedure restarts the system, but if it's charging, it turns the power off!

(If found it accidently, when my phone was stucked in Odin Mode and I was desperately trying to shut it down in order to be able to restart it in Android recovery mode.)

Thank you so much! It worked on my s6 with broken screen. I was able to verify that it worked by activating the voice guidance (pressing home 3x) after the format it rebooted and sure enough the phone said "Samsung set up wizard"

Hats off

Garma1975

Aug 10, 2016
Visit site

Yeah! THANKS!
I confirm it works perfectly :D

lym1204

Sep 16, 2016
Visit site
another problem

same thing my phone dropped in the water but when i press the volume down button it shows Help! Warning!! A custom OS can cause critical problems...what should i do??? please help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Did you already read through the guide linked in post #2?

Are you trying to power on or off by pressing Power and Vol Down? If you try to power on with this button combo, you'll get to Download Mode (aka Odin Mode), which is what you're seeing. The Power/Vol Down combination is what you press to force a Power Off​.

Redranger711

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Help me

I tried the method with the charger and the power and volume down buttons but it didn't work for me. I really need to get my galaxy tab 3 lite shut down because the display is broken but the rest of the tablet still works and I have an alarm for 5:30 AM that I can't turn off so if someone has a method please let me know. I would really appreciate it

kuchisabishi

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
Re: Help me

I tried the method with the charger and the power and volume down buttons but it didn't work for me. I really need to get my galaxy tab 3 lite shut down because the display is broken but the rest of the tablet still works and I have an alarm for 5:30 AM that I can't turn off so if someone has a method please let me know. I would really appreciate it

ahh I have the exact same problem. I do hope someone finds a solution - its quite had to deal with.

Devara Anilkumar

Jun 7, 2017
Visit site

Mannnnnnnnnnn.. U r jus awesome. . Love you.. My s6 edge us working now... Thanqqqq soooo muchhhhhhh.. . XOXO <3

Sanane Banane

Dec 30, 2019
Visit site

I have just registered here to thank that comment. My friend thank you very much you saved my day. How am I suppose to now charger must be connected. Screen broken. All alarms are working. It was making me crazy and almost I was going to break my phone completely. By the way my phone was Galaxy Note 5. I also tried at galaxy Note 10+ also working.

Thank you again million times.

Regards.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12