New Note 4
    Facebook repeatedly updates without my consent.
    I repeatedly uninstall and reload the version supplied by Samsung and Three ( return to factory install ) only to find it updated again within hours.
    I have Playstore Auto-Update set to OFF
    I have install from Unknown Sources disabled in Settings/Security.
    Somehow Facebook, Samsung or Google Playstore are circumventing my preferences.
    Any help would be welcome
    Dixcgirl10 likes this.
    05-10-2015 01:24 PM
    New Note 4
    Facebook repeatedly updates without my consent.
    I repeatedly uninstall and reload the version supplied by Samsung and Three ( return to factory install ) only to find it updated again within hours.
    I have Playstore Auto-Update set to OFF
    I have install from Unknown Sources disabled in Settings/Security.
    Somehow Facebook, Samsung or Google Playstore are circumventing my preferences.
    Any help would be welcome
    It is coming from Facebook. Give me a few minutes, I found a fix for this. I will get you a link.
    05-10-2015 06:52 PM
    I have noticed this also, and with Facebook updates constantly being buggy and adding changes I dislike, I sure hope we can block this.
    Dixcgirl10 likes this.
    05-10-2015 07:10 PM
    Ok, I will copy my post I made about this in another thread. I've been pulling my hair out over this. Now..I accidentally found this, I corrected this problem for myself the other day when they had to replace my phone and I was updating it to Lollipop and NOTHING had been downloaded. I haven't tried this after my phone has been set up.

These are the two files you are looking for and I accidentally found them, they were like an app, not files:

com.facebook.appmanager
    com.facebook.system

I saw them in my App Manager and downloaded apps. First, you should look and see if you see them. If you do, click on each one, uninstall updates, disable, then clear data on both of these. Without further testing, the only way I know is to do a reset, don't log into Facebook and let it update the first time and then you will see them. This really needs to be tested on some phones that weren't new out of the box like mine.

If you do not see these files, go to your Facebook app in the App Manager, force stop, uninstall updates, clear data and then let it update again, might be tomorrow (don't log in to Facebook is my suggestion right now) and then check your downloaded in App Manager and see if you see these listed as an app. Disabling these two is the trick to stopping the updates. If that doesn't work, then a reset is the only thing I know of right now to get these files to show up, because I did see them before I got my replacement phone, after I did a reset. I am in contact with a couple of Facebook Developers, they have not done anything yet, I have been the one to track down the ones causing the updates for them. Here is the post I did and I will link you to the thread.

This has been the fix for me so far.

Clear the data on the Facebook app, then uninstall updates. Do not log into the Facebook app.

Eventually it will update through the app. When you get a notification it updated, go to the App Manager, then downloaded apps. Look for these two files listed with your downloaded apps.

com.facebook.appmanager
    com.facebook.system

Uninstall updates on those, then disable them. Then uninstall updates on the Facebook app and sideload the version you want or update through the Play Store.

I use version 27 because it allows a tiny app to trick Facebook into thinking you have messenger and you can still message through the app.

Starting with version 28, Facebook fixed that and no one has found a workaround for the newer versions of Facebook.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...-4-freeze.html
    05-10-2015 07:26 PM
    Please post back here if you could apply this fix, especially without a reset.

Let us know what you did to apply this fix. Many are having this problem and if we can know exactly the ways we can fix it, it sure would help.
    05-10-2015 07:50 PM
    Thanks Kelly,

I have tried your suggestions as best I could.

com.facebook.appmanager: Uninstalled and data cleared - couldn't disable
    com.facebook.system: Uninstalled and data cleared - couldn't disable

Facebook:
    Force stopped, cleared data and cache, uninstalled all updates and reverted to Pre-Installed version.

I did not open or sign in to Facebook but within hours I had a notification that Facebook had successfully updated to 32.0.0.23.15

I also noticed that the com.facebook.... files regenerated or reloaded within seconds and could not be disabled.

Don't know what you mean by
    sideloading different versions, Playstore only has 32.0.0.23.15.

I don't know enough to choose what version gets installed but I just want to choose
    when or if it is installed.

I still haven't been able to stop the Auto-update

Regards.

Dixcgirl10 and tippmann15 like this.
    05-10-2015 09:56 PM
    Thanks Kelly,

I have tried your suggestions as best I could.

com.facebook.appmanager: Uninstalled and data cleared - couldn't disable
    com.facebook.system: Uninstalled and data cleared - couldn't disable

Facebook:
    Force stopped, cleared data and cache, uninstalled all updates and reverted to Pre-Installed version.

I did not open or sign in to Facebook but within hours I had a notification that Facebook had successfully updated to 32.0.0.23.15

I also noticed that the com.facebook.... files regenerated or reloaded within seconds and could not be disabled.

Don't know what you mean by
    sideloading different versions, Playstore only has 32.0.0.23.15.

I don't know enough to choose what version gets installed but I just want to choose
    when or if it is installed.

I still haven't been able to stop the Auto-update

Regards.

What phone do you have and who is your carrier?

Does it allow you to "turn off" or disable pre-installed apps at all?
    05-11-2015 07:17 AM
    I just realized I forgot your other question..sideloading.

I did a google search for previous Facebook apk

You can find many on Google, just be careful where you download them. I wanted version 27. When I found it, I downloaded it and it saved to my SD Card. Now when I install it, I have to go to my card through "My Files" click on it to install it. It will prompt me that I can't do that due to security settings and I can choose to click on changing those to allow "unknown sources" and I do that, for that specific installation only.

It is an official Facebook app, someone just took the "program" when it was released and hosted it so people can download. Many people keep all the Facebook versions released or several, so they can be downloaded.
    Fat69 likes this.
    05-11-2015 08:28 AM
    Phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 supplied by Three.

I can disable some. Others just let me clear cache, data, force stop but disable app is 'greyed out'.

The com. files you mention allow everything but disabling and reappear/regenerate within minutes.
    05-13-2015 09:09 AM
    Phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 supplied by Three.

I can disable some. Others just let me clear cache, data, force stop but disable app is 'greyed out'.

The com. files you mention allow everything but disabling and reappear/regenerate within minutes.
    Go back to the thread I linked above, I updated it yesterday. I heard back from Facebook and I've talked to Samsung. There is also a link in the other thread to file a complaint with Google.

Now, I haven't tried my fix after my phone was set up, I just caught it before I logged into my phone (while I was updating to Lollipop) and I had not ever logged into Facebook.

I can't tell you if you reset your phone and go through the steps that I did, that you will be able to do that. It is going to require people from various carriers to test that.

Samsung opened a ticket about security and this issue for me yesterday, I should hear back today.

I talked with Google on the phone, they want as many as possible to file complaints with that link I included in the above thread. You really should call Samsung too, but you sometimes have to stay on them, all their reps aren't always very smart.

With Samsung, concentrate on the security issue of someone being able to bypass security on your phone and download and install without your permission. Try to take the focus off it being Facebook, many of them hear "Facebook" and hear nothing else and tell you that is an app issue. Also let Samsung and Google know it only happens with the pre-installed version.
    tippmann15 likes this.
    05-13-2015 09:42 AM
    With the help of this forum, could we perhaps get which Facebook version they have pre-installed?
    Mine shows as being Version 16.0.0.20.15 (c) Facebook 2014.
    Which version does everyone else have?
    05-13-2015 08:07 PM
    With the help of this forum, could we perhaps get which Facebook version they have pre-installed?
    Mine shows as being Version 16.0.0.20.15 (c) Facebook 2014.
    Which version does everyone else have?
    Yup, that is the pre-installed version.

They are up to 32 or 33 now, I have about v38 available to me. I'm running 27 though and want to keep 27 so I don't have to install messenger. They fixed the issue in v28 that allowed you to trick Facebook into thinking you did install messenger.
    05-14-2015 07:17 AM

Samsung opened a ticket about security and this issue for me yesterday, I should hear back today.

I talked with Google on the phone, they want as many as possible to file complaints with that link I included in the above thread. You really should call Samsung too, but you sometimes have to stay on them, all their reps aren't always very smart.

With Samsung, concentrate on the security issue of someone being able to bypass security on your phone and download and install without your permission. Try to take the focus off it being Facebook, many of them hear "Facebook" and hear nothing else and tell you that is an app issue. Also let Samsung and Google know it only happens with the pre-installed version.
    Kelly's link mentioned above:
    OOPS I CAN'T POST LINKS YET BUThttps://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/contact/takedownSHOULD GET YOU THERE

Samsung UK have opened a ticket for me too.

It is 2118288798. If you contact Samsung quote this number and tell them that it is a Samsung UK number and that you are experiencing the same problem.

Like Kelly said, emphasise that it is a security issue as they have bypassed your settings and if you are in touch with Google emphasise that by bypassing Playstore, Facebook are in breach of their developer content policy. (See below)

Could you contact me or post what version of Facebook is pre-installed on your phone please.
    (Phone type and Supplier and/or Network would also be helpful)
    Mine is:
    Galaxy Note 4 supplied by Three and on the Three UK Network, Pre-installed Facebook Version 16.0.0.20.15 (c) Facebook 2014.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Extract from Googles Developer Content Policy.

Dangerous Products:
    We don't allow content that harms, interferes with the operation of, or accesses in an unauthorized manner, networks, servers, or other infrastructure.
    ◦Don't transmit or link to viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, malware, or any other items that may introduce security vulnerabilities to or harm user devices, apps, or personal data.
    ◦Apps that collect information (such as the user's location or behavior) without the user's knowledge (spyware) are prohibited.
    ◦Malicious scripts and password phishing scams are also prohibited on Google Play, as are apps that cause users to unknowingly download or install apps from sources outside of Google Play.
    ◦An app downloaded from Google Play may not modify, replace or update its own APK binary code using any method other than Google Play's update mechanism.

• System Interference:
    ◦An app downloaded from Google Play (or its components or derivative elements) must not make changes to the user’s device outside of the app without the user’s knowledge and consent.
    ◦This includes behavior such as replacing or reordering the default presentation of apps, widgets, or the settings on the device. If an app makes such changes with the user’s knowledge and consent, it must be clear to the user which app has made the change and the user must be able to reverse the change easily, or by uninstalling the app altogether.
    ◦Apps and their ads must not modify or add browser settings or bookmarks, add homescreen shortcuts, or icons on the user’s device as a service to third parties or for advertising purposes.
    ◦Apps and their ads must not display advertisements through system level notifications on the user’s device, unless the notifications derive from an integral feature provided by the installed app (e.g., an airline app that notifies users of special deals, or a game that notifies users of in-game promotions).
    ◦Apps must not encourage, incentivize, or mislead users into removing or disabling third-party apps except as part of a security service provided by the app.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    05-14-2015 01:53 PM
    My Facebook and Instagram both just did this on my note 4, of course right after I noticed a brand new app "pages" was downloaded and installed.

Any idea how I enforce the idea that only apps I agree to will update ?
    05-31-2015 12:23 AM
    I am not sure if this issue was solved on any of the Samsung phones but I am having it on my unlocked S6 Edge+ g9287 any advice and I keep getting adverts to install 3 party apps in Google Play how do I get rid of that?
    01-19-2016 01:56 AM
    I found the cause. Facebook app has its own auto update feature. Even though play store was set to no auto update. In the app it was set as update anyway.

Settings=>app settings=>app updates

Set all to off

Fixed for me for now.
    02-25-2016 11:01 PM
    Hi I have the galaxy note 4. I used the instructions supplied and disabled the apps noted and it seems to have work for me. However, I should note that my Facebook was generally updated overnight so I will not not 199% for sure if these measures have made a difference until morning. For now. I'm glad everything is finally running smoothly. Thanks for the input and post. Oh, for others I just went back to the version originally installed on my phone at purchase (factory installed).
    03-04-2016 11:02 AM
    How do I keep the Facebook app I keep uninstalling it and it keeps coming back
    04-11-2016 10:18 PM
    Open the facebook App.
    Click on App settings.
    Click on App Updates.
    UNCHECK ALL 3 OPTIONS.
    laugh as fb tells you "google play can still update this app"

Back out
    Enjoy
    07-15-2016 02:29 PM
    when you uncheck the third one, "Facebook Update Installed" you wouldn't know if it really automatic updates or not, cuz you dont get notified, and when you dont get notified, they can sneak on unauthorized autoupdate.. I've uncheck the first two tho, but still it gets me notified that updates were still installed..
    08-11-2016 03:26 PM
    On FB: Settings=>app settings=>app updates and then to OFF.
    10-29-2016 10:31 AM
    Please post back here if you could apply this fix, especially without a reset.

Let us know what you did to apply this fix. Many are having this problem and if we can know exactly the ways we can fix it, it sure would help.
    Thanks it worked, I uninstalled the updates first and then clear data, the I disabled the facebook app installer and app manager. I'm using the factory version now because I can't update the app with the downloaded v.28 apk of facebook so better stuck in the factory version without the automatic updater. Btw im using Samsung Galaxy J2 prime
    04-13-2017 08:56 AM
    Found a help page. Just two apps to easily uninstall
    https://m.facebook.com/help/android-app/812681095504818
    09-10-2017 03:45 AM