Where are my contacts??

A

AC Question

I switched to from iPhone to Android about 6 months ago. Back then iPhone had my contacts backed up to the cloud and move over to Android was easy. However, now I got a new phone and all my contacts that I added during last 6 months are gone!!! I did a factory reset to the old phone since I thought that of course Android will back up my contacts. Actually, one (1!!) contact has automatically been added to my gmail contacts, but all the other ones are missing. I even have a dropbox account that I pay $15 per month!

Where are my contacts??!! I go to my gmail account and all the old contacts from iPhone are there but nothing from that Android piece of s**t. Please don't tell me that Android does not back up your contacts automatically??!!! Where are my contacts??

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
When you save a new contact, you are given the option to save it to the phone or to Gmail.

If you didn't save to Gmail and instead, saved them on the phone, sorry, you erased them with the factory reset.

If it was a Samsung phone and you have a Samsung account and they were saved in the phone, you just need to access your Samsung account and there they are.

Sent From my Gold Platinum Galaxy S6 Edge

Last edited:

lynchburg25

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Similar problem.

GS4 Verizon, updated to Lollipop a week ago or so.

Contacts are saved in Gmail. Contacts app is only displaying Gmail contacts. Tried the Contacts Sync Fix app but get a message that the group query returns null. Tried deleting data for Contacts Storage and Contacts which works, but then a few minutes later, the Google sync fails and my contacts are gone. Unchecked Twitter sync to no avail.

Really frustrating!!

Anyone figure this out yet? Tons of posts about contacts missing, but aside from the steps above, can't figure out how anyone has gotten past this.

TIA

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I switched to from iPhone to Android about 6 months ago. Back then iPhone had my contacts backed up to the cloud and move over to Android was easy. However, now I got a new phone and all my contacts that I added during last 6 months are gone!!! I did a factory reset to the old phone since I thought that of course Android will back up my contacts. Actually, one (1!!) contact has automatically been added to my gmail contacts, but all the other ones are missing. I even have a dropbox account that I pay $15 per month!

Where are my contacts??!! I go to my gmail account and all the old contacts from iPhone are there but nothing from that Android piece of s**t. Please don't tell me that Android does not back up your contacts automatically??!!! Where are my contacts??

Similar problem.

GS4 Verizon, updated to Lollipop a week ago or so.

Contacts are saved in Gmail. Contacts app is only displaying Gmail contacts. Tried the Contacts Sync Fix app but get a message that the group query returns null. Tried deleting data for Contacts Storage and Contacts which works, but then a few minutes later, the Google sync fails and my contacts are gone. Unchecked Twitter sync to no avail.

Really frustrating!!

Anyone figure this out yet? Tons of posts about contacts missing, but aside from the steps above, can't figure out how anyone has gotten past this.

TIA

This will not fix current lost contacts, but will help to make sure in the future you don't lose them.

When adding a contact on your phone, make sure on the add screen, your Google account is showing top left. If it isn't and it says device, click the drop down menu on the top right and choose you Google account from the different options showing. Also make sure your Google account settings on your phone, are set to sync contacts.

I've had 15 plus new phones over the last 4 3 years due to having a network issue here 3 years ago and AT&T made me switch my phone out every week. I have never lost any contacts when switching to a new phone.

Attachments

• 1432228904840.jpg
    1432228904840.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1432228923794.jpg
    1432228923794.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 8

lynchburg25

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Yep, already have it set that way. Every time I add contacts on my phone, I select the Google account. When I look in Gmail/Contacts, all are there. After clearing data in Contacts Storage, they sync down fine. The issue does not appear to be where they are added but something else entirely.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Yep, already have it set that way. Every time I add contacts on my phone, I select the Google account. When I look in Gmail/Contacts, all are there. After clearing data in Contacts Storage, they sync down fine. The issue does not appear to be where they are added but something else entirely.

Do you have contacts in places other than Google that aren't showing up?

If you delete your Google account and log back in, are all your Google contacts showing up?

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Really appreciate the help!

No other contacts, only the Google ones.

I have deleted my Google account several times but the issue keeps arising.

So your sync is failing and then you don't have contacts on your phone, but they are still in Gmail?

When that happens, have you by any chance, checked "contacts to display" to see if the correct one is selected when the sync fails? Mine has "all" selected.

Are you using a contact manager?

Also, I just found a thread, various issues with sync in this thread.. Contacts (which included contacts disappearing) calendar, Gmail and something I noticed a couple of times was symbols in contact names and using a contact manager.

Do you have any international symbols in any contact name or an emoji after any names?

You might want to look at this thread. There are various fixes and problems talked about in this thread.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...-experiencing-problems-will-back-shortly.html

lynchburg25

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Turns out my Microsoft Exchange Active Sync was synchronizing contacts and causing the issue. Even though I told my Contacts app to only display my Google contacts, the MS ones were still in the Contacts DB and causing issues. From the Accounts screen, I disabled contacts sync for MS Active Sync, deleted my Contacts Storage data, told Contacts to only sync Google contacts, and problem solved.

Hope this helps others who may have similar issues.