Be concerned about Clean Master's data collection and privacy practices?

A

AC Question

Be concerned about Clean Master's data collection and privacy practices

Hey everyone,

I came across this report by a respected professor and it gave me huge concern because I've used Clean Master in the past. Apparently despite Clean Master's popularity, the app's origin and purpose seem to have been overlooked. I deleted the app right away but I thought I should share what I read with other users.

The report (written by a Carnegie Mellon professor and published in Vocativ and Gizmodo) stirred up widespread concern, identifying apps that mysteriously “know everything about you.” If you dig deeper into the report, you'll see that the company with the most of these privacy-invading apps on the list is Cheetah Mobile. These include CM Security, Clean Master, and Battery Doctor.

CM Security-AppLock & AntiVirus flags for 29 privacy permissions, some of which include call logs, text messages, and contact lists to name a few. And where the data is used thereafter is unknown to anyone else but Cheetah, leaving its users open to privacy vulnerabilities.

“That a security app is the most data-greedy is both unsurprising and disturbing. Is it really necessary to impinge on privacy to ensure security,” Gizmodo noted in its analysis.

With Cheetah Mobile’s aggressive mobile advertising foray as the public company advances its investors’ interests, it’s evident that private information from users of Clean Master, CM Security, and Battery Doctor are fed into its advertising system to deliver ads to Cheetah Mobile users and then monetize their data at the expense of its users’ privacy as suggested by Gizmodo.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
What about apps that supposedly clean junk like CCleaner? Are they safe or a waste of time as well?
I've been using CCleaner on Windows for years - it does what it claims. It's probably about as good on Android, but that's just a guess, based on the level at which the Windows version is written. (I've hired enough programmers in my life that a few lines of code can tell me whether someone knows what s/he's doing.)

After reading this,it makes me worried..I downloaded the CM security and Battery Doctor (already uninstalled) .the CM seems working fine for me,so reading this make anxious
CM kills apps that it wants killed - even if Android wants them to stay in RAM. That makes Android reload them, CM rekill them, etc., etc., slowing your phone and wasting battery.

Android isn't supposed to run with "clean" RAM - it wants as much RAM in use as possible. ("Unused RAM is wasted RAM" - an Android developer.) Cleanmaster may be great for Windows, but it's death on Android. (And if a company knows so little about the environment they writing apps for, I see them as writing anything that will make money, whether it's needed or not, even whether it works or not. So, as Crashdamage has said a few times, you shouldn't have any Cheetah apps on your Android phone or tablet. Not even the stealing information stuff - they don't know how Android works, so how can they write apps for it?)

NCzerniak83

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I've been using CCleaner on Windows for years - it does what it claims. It's probably about as good on Android, but that's just a guess, based on the level at which the Windows version is written. (I've hired enough programmers in my life that a few lines of code can tell me whether someone knows what s/he's doing.)

CM kills apps that it wants killed - even if Android wants them to stay in RAM. That makes Android reload them, CM rekill them, etc., etc., slowing your phone and wasting battery.

Android isn't supposed to run with "clean" RAM - it wants as much RAM in use as possible. ("Unused RAM is wasted RAM" - an Android developer.) Cleanmaster may be great for Windows, but it's death on Android. (And if a company knows so little about the environment they writing apps for, I see them as writing anything that will make money, whether it's needed or not, even whether it works or not. So, as Crashdamage has said a few times, you shouldn't have any Cheetah apps on your Android phone or tablet. Not even the stealing information stuff - they don't know how Android works, so how can they write apps for it?)
Amen! I'm not even a developer and even I noticed that these "cleaner/booster" apps would do something, but you could tell android wasn't agreeing with its methods. Cheetah sucks. These apps do absolutely nothing good for Android devices.

NCzerniak83

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site

You put it well that Android wants RAM to be used (not wasted). These devices do what they say but that doesn't mean that's they're good for your device.

Solidstate94

Jan 9, 2016
Visit site
I know this thread has been inactive for a while. However, I had been searching a lot on the Apps mentioned without any concrete info until I found this thread. Thus, I decided to join as after reading all the posts in this thread I noticed how helpful the members are :) My concern is if I should install an antivirus App. Unfortunately, previously I used the CM Security App as an antivirus. However, now I am sceptical of installing a new antivirus App, especially after many mentioned that Android is capable of taking care of itself. What do you suggest please? Thanks :)

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Be concerned about Clean Master's data collection and privacy practices

I want more info on this. Where are examples that it uses your data against you and installs spam and viruses?

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Read post #1 in this thread. Read the 2nd link in my post #3. Do a quick Google search. Incriminating information on CM is everywhere.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
The best thing to to do if you realize your have some slow down is to do some spring cleaning.
Save all your data best you can and reset the device.
I don't trust Cleanmaster anymore or any products from Go. But that is just me.
Without root it is easier said then done, but in the long run I think it's worth it to just wipe and reinstall.

crazyslayer360

Feb 11, 2016
Visit site
The problem is that in my recently bought Wiko Pulp, Cleaner Master comes installed by default and you can't uninstall it... They must have some kind of agreement... Even though those problems may be true, the app as a tool that hybernates (i believe i misspelled that) apps that are open on the background and use battery. The battery used to drain a lot quicker than it does simply by after opening an app like clash of clans going to Cleaner Master and hibernating that app. So i got some mixed feelings.
And if somebody know how to uninstall Cleaner Master i would appreciate imstructions.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Cleaner Master and Clean Master are not the same but both are bad,. Hibernating apps is unnecessary. Apps that you think are running in the background are probably only cached in memory and using no power.

If you can't uninstall Clean Master maybe it can be disabled. If not just don't use it,

If it can't be uninstalled in the usual way it will require rooting the phone to get rid of it.

rokemsokem

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site

Everything in the OP's post is true - and more.

As has been covered here before, anything by Cheetah Mobile has been known for quite a while to be not only basically functionally worthless, but just plain evil. Hijacks your device, throws up nag ads and false alarms, and phones home with your data to numerous servers in China. Many, many warnings about avoiding Cheetah Mobile have been posted here and in numerous other places.

Despite all the evidence against Cheetah and all the warnings to avoid their stuff, Clean Master, CM Security, Battery Doctor and other CM apps continue to be recommended by clueless tech sites and innocent but duped users. It's understandable that some users may not be aware, but for tech sites to put Cheetah's crapware in 'Best of' 'Must have' and 'Top Ten' app lists is utterly ridiculous and totally inexcusable!

This thread contains a wealth of information, not only about Cheetah Mobile but about other crapware, how Android works and more. Long thread but worth the read.

http://androidforums.com/threads/pu...k-killers-ram-optimizers-and-the-like.896663/

This will make you think again about installing anything from Cheetah Mobile. An article where the CM CMO says CM is a "data company" and the 'M' in CM stands for monetization. Meaning turning your stolen data into their money.

http://androidforums.com/threads/cache-cleaner.923369/#post-7001396

But wait - it gets even worse. As posted here earlier, Samsung has made a deal with Cheetah to include Clean Master in the bundled bloatware! It's on the S6!

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6934991

Thanks to EarlyMon for that info.

I could go on and on about this stuff, it drives me crazy. There's a LOT of information available if you look, but the tech sites and bloggers don't bother. They just promote what they're told to and write without any knowledge. And there's a lot more crapware by companies like DU Apps (DU Battery Saver) Go Dev Team (Go Launcher, GoSMS) and others that continues to be given glowing recommendations by uninformed, ignorant, irresponsible websites and bloggers. Users read, install, their devices suffer, the reputation of Android suffers, and no one seems to care enough to do anything.

It just makes me sick...

But I'm preaching to the choir here. I just wish I knew a way to effectively offset the waves of misinformation flooding the internet.

Kind of scwewy that Samsung has also chosen to introduce this new and redundant " Smart Manager" and have it "Powered By Clean Master" on all of their modern devices. What the heck is Samsung thinking by hooking up with these particular third parties? Sheesh. Screw that. That doesn't pass the sniff test. But I suppose that the drones will eat it up like candy like it's the best thing since sliced bread. Ignorance is popular. And, unfortunately, it is equally as profitable.I imagine that could be one reason why Samsung invited the wolves into the henhouse.

Last edited:

jacb09

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site

What alternative would you recommend?
I have used CM and BD on a Moto G 2nd Gen for some time. but recently when my data allowance was used up in two days of the new allowance starting, I checked and CM was the culprit.
I have un-installed but don't know what to use in it place.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

What alternative would you recommend?
I have used CM and BD on a Moto G 2nd Gen for some time. but recently when my data allowance was used up in two days of the new allowance starting, I checked and CM was the culprit.
I have un-installed but don't know what to use in it place.
Nothing. Please see this article. RAM: What it is, how it's used, and why you shouldn't care http://www.androidcentral.com/ram-what-it-how-its-used-and-why-you-shouldnt-care

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie