Nexus 5 vs G3?

BBGBBG

May 20, 2015
Visit site
I currently own a Nexus 4, which I've been pretty happy with. My contract is almost up, and I'm going to renew with my current provider (Fido in Canada). Looking through the phones, I've narrowed it down to the Nexus 5 and the G3. The cose would be almost identical. Please note that these are the only two phones I'm considering.

I've obviously read reviews, and it looks like both are very good devices, but I'm looking for thoughts from folks who have owned one or both. I'm aware of the various pros and cons (G3, expandable memory! Great Display! Nexus 5, first with the updates etc...) but it's coming down to two issues for me:

Interface: I like the pure Android of my Nexus 4. No fuss, no muss. I assumer the Nexus 5 will be nearly identical. So how is the G3? I've played around with one in store, and it looked OK, but I can't get a true feel for it. Also, older reviews mentioned that it would have issues with lag. Have these been resolved?

Camera: Hoo-boy! As much as I like my Nexus 4, it has a very stupid camera. "Oh, you pushed the button to take a picture? Hang on; focus, focus....focus....aaannnnnd...picture!" I have two small boys. I need something faster. (I'm very jealous of the camera on my wife's iPhone. How fast do you want pictures? How fast can you mash the button?) Anyhow, I've played with a Nexus 5 and it was a little faster than the 4, but the G3 seemed very fast. Is the camera on the Nexus 5 as slow as I fear?

I know there are a bunch of other differences, but like I said, these seem to be the big ones for me. Any input would be appreciated.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, the removable battery and SD card are nice bonuses, but I haven't had any problems with running out of space on my Nexus (maybe because I never take any pictures?)

That's nice but after major updates you are best off doing the dreaded factory resets - if you don't keep a lot of media on your phone that's good. I on the other hand filled my phone up within the first few months of getting it. :) And it's a problem backing up gigs of data without a pc.