Why do Android phones struggle to process data from micro-SD cards?

A

AC Question

This question particularly arises when making comparisons to my good old Nokia N-73 which used to run on Symbian and had only a few MB of RAM but was relatively far more effective in processing data from an SD card.
In fact it may be noted the N series phones only came with an utmost 20 MB internal memory and the functioning of the phone, storage of media files and apps were largely on the SD card. Still it had decent levels of performance keeping in consideration the limited resources.
My Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300 16 GB has become miserably slow after I installed a 16GB micro-SD card. The maximum allowable memory expansion is upto 32GB on the memory card slot. The battery consumption has shot up several notches. Sum total this one move has simply rendered the phone unusable on many an occassion.
I extended this to entire galaxy of android phones (whatever be the brand) as I have heard the same complaint from many friends of mine who have tried expanding the memory of their smart phones via micro-SD cards but finally ended up receiving a bashing on the phone performance.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. It may be hard to say what the problem is. SD cards have a slower read/write than internal. The media server process in the phone might be having a hard time reading a file (and explains your battery consumption). It could be an issue with the format of the card.