Older phones

Paul Guest1

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I recently was able to reflash two phones that had been bricked - a Samsung Note 3 and a Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3. Both are now up and running and fully updated, but I think the thing that strikes me is how much I like the Mega. It doesn't really bother me that the resolution is "only" 720p or that it sports a Snapdragon 400 - I wish that there was an up to date, flagship level version, of course - but for my needs and wants I sort of prefer the experience I get from the Mega. I like the giant screen size when I use my phone mostly for reading, for browsing, for email and texting, etc. It's kind of great.

My question is, as we have come to a point in technology in which cell phones are becoming commodities, when there aren't huge leaps between generations anymore, what to do with older phones that are still perfectly good? I would like to see the Mega be updated to Lollipop or whatever comes after, but I'm sure it's going to remain at Kitkat. Which is fine, because it was great. It just seems a shame to be dead-ended.

Posted via the Android Central App

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Older devices will not always support the latest version of the OS, or if they do, they don't always work well. But you're right, there are some mighty good devices from the past which are still definitely worth using. However it's an industry that's constantly and rapidly moving forward.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My question is, as we have come to a point in technology in which cell phones are becoming commodities, when there aren't huge leaps between generations anymore
Well ... there are in some areas. The change from a 32 bit processor to a 64 bit processor is huge - it allows more RAM than you could fit into a phone twice the size of a Mega (so far - maybe in 10 years we'll have 8PB in a small chip). Run 4 or 5 really huge games at the same time on one phone? Sure, if you have 32GB of RAM. Memory manager? Put enough RAM in the phone and all your apps can be running t the same time all the time. Pretty big change, but the phone doesn't look any different and, to most people, it doesn't run any differently.

CPU speeds and cores are increasing, screen density is increasing (4k isn't the maximum now - 8k screns are in the works - for the people who think it really makes a difference on a 6" screen [it doesn't unless you have microscopic vision - even with 20/10 vision (artificially enhanced - the doctor did a fantastic job when he removed my cataracts and replaced my lenses with plastic ones), I barely notice any difference with 4k]), but nothing like the change from a Motorola StarTAC to a Note 3.

But screen size? Anything larger than 6" is considered a tablet, so there won't be any 7" phones until we evolve to be 9 feet tall.

what to do with older phones that are still perfectly good?
My Motorola V-551 still works (even the original batteries do) - it's about 11 years old and has a camera (which was a new thing back then) - and it still makes and takes phone calls, but if I drop it into water, or if someone "finds" it (in my pocket) I can replace it for $20 on Craig's List (and that's a rip-off), so it goes with me when I don't want to risk my good phone. In 10 years, my Note 3 will serve the same purpose.

You can use an old smart phone as a podcast reader, mp3 player, web browser - anything you can do on wifi and, if you get a SIM adapter, anything you can do on a newer phone if the app will run on it. New versions of Android? If they're all going to be as "impressive" (what comes after what comes after sarcasm?) as Lollipoop, I'll stay on 4.4.2. My phone works, doesn't have memory leaks, battery problems, glaring fields of battery-eating white on an Amoled display - and is rooted.

I would like to see the Mega be updated to Lollipop or whatever comes after, but I'm sure it's going to remain at Kitkat.
You win that bet.

Which is fine, because it was great. It just seems a shame to be dead-ended.
It's not, it just isn't going to get any more updates, except from people who write custom ROMs. (I'd still be using my StarTAC if it had GPS, but you can't legally use a phone without GPS today. You'll probably be able to use the Mega for at least another 20 years.)

Paul Guest1

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Well ... there are in some areas. The change from a 32 bit processor to a 64 bit processor is huge - it allows more RAM than you could fit into a phone twice the size of a Mega (so far - maybe in 10 years we'll have 8PB in a small chip). Run 4 or 5 really huge games at the same time on one phone? Sure, if you have 32GB of RAM. Memory manager? Put enough RAM in the phone and all your apps can be running t the same time all the time. Pretty big change, but the phone doesn't look any different and, to most people, it doesn't run any differently.

CPU speeds and cores are increasing, screen density is increasing (4k isn't the maximum now - 8k screns are in the works - for the people who think it really makes a difference on a 6" screen [it doesn't unless you have microscopic vision - even with 20/10 vision (artificially enhanced - the doctor did a fantastic job when he removed my cataracts and replaced my lenses with plastic ones), I barely notice any difference with 4k]), but nothing like the change from a Motorola StarTAC to a Note 3.

But screen size? Anything larger than 6" is considered a tablet, so there won't be any 7" phones until we evolve to be 9 feet tall.

My Motorola V-551 still works (even the original batteries do) - it's about 11 years old and has a camera (which was a new thing back then) - and it still makes and takes phone calls, but if I drop it into water, or if someone "finds" it (in my pocket) I can replace it for $20 on Craig's List (and that's a rip-off), so it goes with me when I don't want to risk my good phone. In 10 years, my Note 3 will serve the same purpose.

You can use an old smart phone as a podcast reader, mp3 player, web browser - anything you can do on wifi and, if you get a SIM adapter, anything you can do on a newer phone if the app will run on it. New versions of Android? If they're all going to be as "impressive" (what comes after what comes after sarcasm?) as Lollipoop, I'll stay on 4.4.2. My phone works, doesn't have memory leaks, battery problems, glaring fields of battery-eating white on an Amoled display - and is rooted.

You win that bet.

It's not, it just isn't going to get any more updates, except from people who write custom ROMs. (I'd still be using my StarTAC if it had GPS, but you can't legally use a phone without GPS today. You'll probably be able to use the Mega for at least another 20 years.)

I'm fine with the forward progression of technology - I love following it. But there are so many - too many - good phones to keep up with. Oh well!