How do I prevent accidentally activating an icon by the ear touching screen while I'm on the phone?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
There is a proximity sensor switch in the regular settings as well, probably under Display on this vintage Samsung, but termed something like - turn on screen during a call. I don't have mine with me.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I was thinking they wouldn't change something like that as well.
Holy Moly!
It prevents threads like this one. Put the phone to your ear and the screen turns off - no choice.

Besides, when is the last time you read the screen with your ear? I went blind in both ears before birth, or something.

Oh - it's under Device/Calls/Turn off screen during call - and it's still there in 5.0 in the Note 3.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
It prevents threads like this one. Put the phone to your ear and the screen turns off - no choice.

Besides, when is the last time you read the screen with your ear? I went blind in both ears before birth, or something.

Oh - it's under Device/Calls/Turn off screen during call - and it's still there in 5.0 in the Note 3.

The Note 3 has it with Lollipop?

My S5 and Note 4 lost it with Lollipop.

Tinka82

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. Probably within the last say week or two? I don't think it's an update issue either as that took place in the end of April.

Every call now, it starts scrolling screens and wants to set the time to Abudabi and shrinks my active call to a small icon in the upper left corner.

I also now have to unlock the screen to end the call. ???

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When you put the phone to your ear, the screen should go blank, so your ear can't press any icons. When you take the phone away from your ear the screen should com back (it may take half a second to a second), so you can press the end call button. If it's not working that way, either the proximity detector isn't working or the update messed something up.

Try *#0011#. You'll get a service screen. Tap Sensor. The proximity detector is on there. Put a finger near the top of the phone (where your ear goes) and it should change from 0 to 1 (and maybe change color and vibrate, depending on the model). Take your finger away and it should go back to 0. If not, the sensor is bad (and has to be replaced).