Can I update my Moto X (1st Gen)? XT1056 on T-Mobile

A

AC Question

I recently bought an unlocked 1st-gen Moto X from eBay. I use T-Mobile and the phone itself turns on and works fine with my SIM card; however, I'm stuck on stock 4.2.2. When I try to update in the normal interface, I get an error message stating that "check for update was not available at this time." Looking into it further, I found out that my phone is an unbranded model XT1056 (the Sprint one, as opposed to the T-Mobile XT1053) that has been GSM unlocked. I've tried going into the loader and flashing all sorts of different updates to the phone, including multiple T-Mobile factory roms and official Android updates, all without success (they automatically abort before they start.) I have a feeling that the reason I can't update is because I'm using a Sprint phone on T-Mobile firmware, and this is somehow confusing the phone into thinking the updates aren't compatible. Is there any way for me to update Android on my phone?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought an unlocked 1st-gen Moto X from eBay. I use T-Mobile and the phone itself turns on and works fine with my SIM card; however, I'm stuck on stock 4.2.2. When I try to update in the normal interface, I get an error message stating that "check for update was not available at this time." Looking into it further, I found out that my phone is an unbranded model XT1056 (the Sprint one, as opposed to the T-Mobile XT1053) that has been GSM unlocked. I've tried going into the loader and flashing all sorts of different updates to the phone, including multiple T-Mobile factory roms and official Android updates, all without success (they automatically abort before they start.) I have a feeling that the reason I can't update is because I'm using a Sprint phone on T-Mobile firmware, and this is somehow confusing the phone into thinking the updates aren't compatible. Is there any way for me to update Android on my phone?

Welcome to Android Central!

You will have to find a T-Mobile updated imagine to update. I believe the updates go by the model number and you have to be on that carriers network to get that update.