Is Smart Network Switch a security problem?

A

AC Question

As I understand it, if Smart Network Switch is on, the phone will automatically switch between WiFi and the mobile network to maintain a stable connection. Does this mean that if I am using a browser to access the internet using my carrier's mobile network, and then I walk into a restaurant or other location that has an open WiFi network to which I have NEVER PREVIOUSLY CONNECTED, it will automatically switch me to that open WiFi network? If so, that is a security problem. I don't want to be connected to open WiFi networks without first being asked to connect, as this would mean that whatever one is accessing on the web is suddenly exposed to the open network. Please clarify if this is what Smart Network Switch does or if I'm misunderstanding. Thanks.

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
As I understand it, if Smart Network Switch is on, the phone will automatically switch between WiFi and the mobile network to maintain a stable connection. Does this mean that if I am using a browser to access the internet using my carrier's mobile network, and then I walk into a restaurant or other location that has an open WiFi network to which I have NEVER PREVIOUSLY CONNECTED, it will automatically switch me to that open WiFi network? If so, that is a security problem. I don't want to be connected to open WiFi networks without first being asked to connect, as this would mean that whatever one is accessing on the web is suddenly exposed to the open network. Please clarify if this is what Smart Network Switch does or if I'm misunderstanding. Thanks.

Welcome to Android Central!

It will not connect to those networks if you have not connected to them previously. Only to the ones you have saved.