Can I Create a Full System Image Backup?

A

AC Question

For some reason I tend to go through phones faster than the avg person, don't ask why, it's just the way it is. In any case, I'm now on my 3rd Gal S5 and every time I get a new phone it's a friggin nightmare downloading apps, logging in and arranging all my screens, preferences, yada yada yada. It's like a 3-hour process getting my new phone to be identical as my prior one was.

MY QUESTION IS...isn't there some way to do a complete system image backup on my prior phone and upload to the new one? I want the new phone be identical to the old one in every respect, can't that somehow be done?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
For some reason I tend to go through phones faster than the avg person, don't ask why, it's just the way it is. In any case, I'm now on my 3rd Gal S5 and every time I get a new phone it's a friggin nightmare downloading apps, logging in and arranging all my screens, preferences, yada yada yada. It's like a 3-hour process getting my new phone to be identical as my prior one was.

MY QUESTION IS...isn't there some way to do a complete system image backup on my prior phone and upload to the new one? I want the new phone be identical to the old one in every respect, can't that somehow be done?

Welcome to Android Central!

You could install a custom recovery like TWRP and make aback up of your phone. Put the back up image on your PC and when and if you get another phone just restore that back up. Keep in mind the phones need to be identical for it to work. Meaning GS5 from the same carrier.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. itguy has a good suggestion. Something that I found that helps is this: I use a thrid party launcher called Nova. With Nova, I can create a backup of the home screen layout, and settings regarding Nova, so the dock, widgets, etc. This greatly cuts down on my set up time. I just have to wait for my apps to update, click restore, and done.

Now things like ringtone settings still need me to do, but at least with the Nova backup, I don't have to worry about widget/app arrangements.