Why are there two Google apps on my tablet?

A

AC Question

Strange thing....on my Android there's two Google apps. I checked out the information about the official app on the Play Store. Latest version apparently is 4.6.10.16.arm.

That's the version of one of the Google apps on my device. It's also the only one that's been frequently updated. The other Google app is version 22.1 ( what a huge gap!) and has never been updated. The second one looks suspicious...but what exactly is it? A fake app? A virus?

I remember a while back when I had McAfee Security. It detected a Google app as a trojan but I ignored it because I wasn't aware of the double apps. So....could someone please give me some advice about what to do and what's up with these apps?? Thanks!

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Strange thing....on my Android there's two Google apps. I checked out the information about the official app on the Play Store. Latest version apparently is 4.6.10.16.arm.

That's the version of one of the Google apps on my device. It's also the only one that's been frequently updated. The other Google app is version 22.1 ( what a huge gap!) and has never been updated. The second one looks suspicious...but what exactly is it? A fake app? A virus?

I remember a while back when I had McAfee Security. It detected a Google app as a trojan but I ignored it because I wasn't aware of the double apps. So....could someone please give me some advice about what to do and what's up with these apps?? Thanks!

Welcome to Android Central!

I would uninstall the old one if it lets you do it. It sounds pretty suspicious.