'Do you want to change your default write disk?' Why does my phone ask this every 10 minutes?

A

AC Question

It's a Wiko Sunset running Android 4.4.2.

It keeps on asking me this question every 5-10 minutes; I set the default disk to SD card (almost) every time. Nevertheless, the next tie it asks, it's set the rite disk back to phone memory.

As a result I don't have enough space for photos, screenshots etc.

Thanks,
Andy Matterson

AndyMatterson

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
It's the system. I have the screensaver period set very short to save battery. After the screensaver kicks in, or the phone goes to sleep or whatever you call it, the phone 'blinks', and if I switch it back on, this message appears. It's actually much more frequent than every 10 minutes.

I previously had a similar problem and couldn'r store photos, music etc. I came to the conclusion that the SD card was u/s, bought a new one and installed it. If I set the defualt write disk to SD Card I can (briefly) store photos, screenshots etc. But this message appears and the default write disk is set back to phone memory.

Thanks for your help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
See if it occurs in Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps. On most Android devices, while powered on, press and hold Power until the Power Off menu appears. Press and hold the Power Off selection until the Safe Mode prompt appears. Tap OK. If the problem disappears in Safe Mode, then something you installed is causing the problem. You may have to uninstall apps one by one until the problem disappears. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, then it's more likely to be a hardware or firmware problem.

You could also try wiping the cache partition in the Recovery Menu, but the only video I could find is in French (there are other videos in English for other Wiko models, but I'm not sure if the procedure is exactly the same). Instead of selecting Wipe Data/Factory Reset, make sure you select Wipe Cache Partition:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMwy6O5gAe8

If that video is too unclear, then try this one for a different model:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSlvOGFqiwg

AndyMatterson

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your help! I am in the process of trying it out. In the meantime the default write disk has been set to phone memory and the message stopped appearing.

Of course that means I have an SD card fitted which I can't use which is a bit dumb.

I'll let you know if I find any app that's causing the problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are these SD cards all purchased from the same place? If it's not the most reliable seller, then it's possible they could be selling batches of counterfeit cards, and you got two of them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12