Can I block in-app web browsing?

A

AC Question

I have AppLock and it works great for completely blocking certain apps. But there are other apps I want to use but can't because there are ways to navigate to a browser WITHIN a non-browser app.

For example, an app like Zillow can be used to search Google by going through something like the "help" or "settings" areas until you can get to a sponsored page such as YouTube. From there go to "privacy", "about google" then "google". From there the entire internet is TOTALLY open in a non-browser app.

I want to use the app for its intended purpose without being tempted to go to Google and surf the web all day. AppLock blocks the ENTIRE app so I basically just have to delete or block perfectly good apps.

Any suggestions on how to use an app but keep it from becoming a browser too?

itguyjax8430

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I have AppLock and it works great for completely blocking certain apps. But there are other apps I want to use but can't because there are ways to navigate to a browser WITHIN a non-browser app.

For example, an app like Zillow can be used to search Google by going through something like the "help" or "settings" areas until you can get to a sponsored page such as YouTube. From there go to "privacy", "about google" then "google". From there the entire internet is TOTALLY open in a non-browser app.

I want to use the app for its intended purpose without being tempted to go to Google and surf the web all day. AppLock blocks the ENTIRE app so I basically just have to delete or block perfectly good apps.

Any suggestions on how to use an app but keep it from becoming a browser too?

Welcome to Android Central!

So you are trying to block your self from being tempted not to surf the web?

webbslinger7

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I want to use any app I download ONLY for the main purpose of that app. If I download something like Zillow I want to be able to ONLY look for houses, not surf the web. If I download MyFitnessPal to stay on track with weight loss I find that I can still get to a browser within the app.

Google Search, Chrome, etc are blocked (through AppLock) so I don't surf the web all day long and ignore my responsibilities. I just get sucked in and have a very hard time putting my phone down. But if most apps I download have some way to navigate to a web browser within the app this defeats the purpose of me having AppLock to block traditional browsers. Additionally, I have to delete almost every app I'm interested in because they give me access to surfing the internet.

Does that make more sense?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Does that make more sense?

Yes it does. Being aware of that means that you are a clever person and you understand how addictive a phone and the Web can be. There are some apps that can help you to control how much time you're using your phone. Unfortunately there's no way to limit Web access from your apps.

Check this app or some others with similar features.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...rigapps.andriod.breakfree.deux&token=q29doPP5

The thing is, the decision to use the Web or not will be always on you. The good thing is that you're an step ahead of most people with the same concern. Good luck.

webbslinger7

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I figured as much. Doesn't hurt to ask. It was also thinking ahead for when my children eventually get phones. I think "parental controls" are too easily bypassed.

Any way, thanks for the answer and thanks for the link.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress