Why is the hotspot being hijacked by my wifi?

A

AC Question

I have a Samsung s5 Sport phone. I updated it a few days ago, and ever since then I've had a problem with the Hotspot. Everytime I turn the Hotspot on, the phone keeps trying to turn on the Wifi. I'll get the warning that "turning on Wifi connector will turn off Hotspot" and have to hit cancel. This usually happens after I turn the Hotspot on and let the phone alone for a bit.

My best guess is that the recent update has something to do with it, because it never did this before the update was put on my phone. It's a minor thing, but it's very annoying, especially if I accidentally turn off the hotspot while using it to load important things (like laptop updates). Any ideas how to get this to stop?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
My best guess is that the recent update has something to do with it, because it never did this before the update was put on my phone. It's a minor thing, but it's very annoying, especially if I accidentally turn off the hotspot while using it to load important things (like laptop updates). Any ideas how to get this to stop?
I'm guessing you're right about it being a bug in the update. The only way to get it to stop is for Samsung to fix it in the next update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I don't have an S5, so I don't know if this is a typical Samsung thing, but what is "Wi-fi Connector"? It almost sounds like some kind of facilitating app--do you have any 3rd party apps installed that control wi-fi?

Matt Rankin

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
I have a Sprint Note 4 that just got OTA update (N910PVPU3BOF5) this month and my Hotspot is also giving me the same warning. I have everything unchecked in Connections optimizer, Always allow scanning, and Smart network switch. I have heard other apps like Wifi Analyzer can possible turn wifi on so I uninstalled any wifi related app. I have even resorted to watching logcat to see what might been turning wifi back on every few minutes to cause the "Attention Turning on Wi-Fi will disable Hotspot" Alert Dialog. :mad: If I figure out a fix I will post it back here!