How can I fix a format error so that I can recover the data from my SD Card?

A

AC Question

I have been using a Transcend 16GB SD card in my Samsung Galaxy S4 for over a year and have never had any problems whatsoever. All of a sudden, about a month ago, I noticed a blank SD card notification. My card was empty and all my stuff was gone. All of the programs I have tried to use to recover any data, have come up with nothing or cannot recognize the file system. I tried to format the card on both my phone and computer but it won't format. My computer says unable to complete and the phone will say that it is formatting then jump back to the blank SD card notification. Anyone else have this issue? All the youtube videos I watch or anything I can find on this problem don't seem to have the format issue. From what information I've been able to gather searching the net, I believe I need to be able to do a quick format before I can recover anything. Disk digger came up empty as well. Can anyone help please? Thanks,

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds as if the card went bad.

If the computer can see the card, try PhotoRec (instructions at PhotoRec Step By Step). It will recover any file blocks on the card, whether the card's file structure is intact or damaged. (It's free and open source.)

If the computer can't see the card, you can't recover data from it. If you didn't make a backup, it's gone.