To encrypt or not to encrypt?

netmouse

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
My work has decided that we will no longer be allowed to access work email on private devices unless they have been encrypted, from some time next week. I would like to keep my work email on the phone, but it's not essential. I've got two questions before I go ahead.

I'm using a Moto G with android 5.0.2.

1. I really like the smart lock that unlocks my phone automatically based on GPS at home and at work. Will this still work after encrypting?

2. Is there any significant risk associated with the encryption procedure? Any chance I might end up with an ex-phone?

Thanks very much for any advice!

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's a good question about the Smart Lock--not sure about that. The main concern I've always had about encryption is the possibility of reduced performance, but then someone showed me a side-by-side video comparison of a Nexus 5 both before and after encryption, and any difference was barely noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gmdRlg0vag

netmouse

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
OK, update. I decided to encrypt my phone this morning. It only took 30 mins or so, so i was optimistic. However when I tried to open the updated phone, I was greeted by a barrage of error messages. Mostly along the lines of "Unfortunately Nova Launcher has stopped" (Repeat with a load more apps, but most often Nova Launcher). As soon as I clicked ok, another one would come up.

I managed to get into settings via the Recent Apps page and did a factory reset :(

Once up and running again I thought I'd try the encryption again, and this time it worked as expected. So I now have an encrypted phone, but haven't quite finished rearranging everything into its proper place yet - a real pain!

Regarding the original question about the smart lock, I can set it up and the phone send to think it will work. However it always asks for my pin number anyway. I'm wondering if this is because of the encryption, or maybe the new settings on the corporate email after the restore. Not sure yet, but either way annoying.

I wonder if anyone else has managed to get smart lock to work on an encrypted phone?

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz