Where is my music stored on my Galaxy S6?

A

AC Question

I have purchased and downloaded music from the Google Play Store and noticed with the last Google update that they "disappeared". In its place was a streaming radio that I did not want. Can someone tell me where my music is and how can I access it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The actual music files are not accessible by the user in the file manager--they're saved to an obscure directory with coded filenames, because they're not meant to be manipulated on the phone.

To see your downloaded music, open Google Play Music, swipe in from the left, and turn on the Downloaded Only switch. Now go to My Library.

baylakates

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
That explains why all of my music doesn't show up in the music folder.
So the first question would be: What is the music folder for?
The second question would be: Where exactly are my 8gb of music stored? On the SD card?

baylakates

Aug 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Rukbat. . .sorry to be a dunce, but explain "Non-copyrighted music that you copy to the phone."
If one owns previously purchased music, can those files not be legally copied into the Music folder of the device?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Rukbat. . .sorry to be a dunce, but explain "Non-copyrighted music that you copy to the phone."
If one owns previously purchased music, can those files not be legally copied into the Music folder of the device?

By "non-copyrighted" he means not DRM-controlled.
Yes, if you previous purchased some music, those files can be copied to your devices for personal use.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Just to clear things up, you don't purchase the music, you purchase the right to play the music on one particular device. Putting it on another device, or moving it to another place on the same device, is copying it - which is a violation of copyright, since only the owner of the copyright can legally make copies of the music (which he did when you downloaded it).

MacD03827

Mar 8, 2017
Visit site
That sounds so ridiculous....I can take my purchased music from my iPhone and download the mp3's. Why can't I so the same with what I purchase from GooglePlay?

I have no music folder on my phone...I want to take my existing mp3's and bring them over to my phone. This is really aggravating...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca