Can I use my phone as a wifi router to the internet without using the cell network?

A

AC Question

I have a situation where I want to share my internet wifi connection with other devices. I do not want to use the cell network for data, but rather a wifi connection. I know this sounds strange since I could just connect my other wifi connections to the same hotspot, but this is a hotspot that is charging me for each account added. I want to have one account on the hotspot and share that connection with my other devices. Is that possible?

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Put simply, no.

A little more technically - a WiFi device can only connect to ONE network. With a single network "card" (WiFi would be considered this), you can't "multi-home" a device as that requires two different connections.

Kelly Kearns

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I have a situation where I want to share my internet wifi connection with other devices. I do not want to use the cell network for data, but rather a wifi connection. I know this sounds strange since I could just connect my other wifi connections to the same hotspot, but this is a hotspot that is charging me for each account added. I want to have one account on the hotspot and share that connection with my other devices. Is that possible?

Welcome to the forums!

No... If you have a computer with Windows, you can do that with your computer. You can turn on a Virtual WiFi adapter and make your computer the hotspot. I know Windows 7 will do it and Windows 8.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Or you could connect a wifi to USB portable router, connect that to a LAN jack on a regular router, have DHCP enabled on one of them and disabled on the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech