Tether Nexus 5 to Laptop - Data Usage and Provider Concerns

A

AC Question

I want to be able to browse the internet on my laptop using my Nexus 5's mobile data, but I'm worried about any extra data my PC might use and also whether or not I could be in violation of my provider's policies.

First, I just want to browse the internet on a laptop and not on a small phone. It's obviously faster and more convenient to use a large screen and physical keyboard. Does the average PC have a lot of background processes that would try to use my mobile data? Is there a way to block them while still allowing the browser through while tethering?

Second, my provider is T-Mobile, and from what I read, they don't charge extra for tethering on their "Simple Choice" plan. The issue is that I'm not sure what plan I have. I have the $30 Unlimited plan that you were able to get by buying a SIM card From Wal-Mart a little over a year ago and activating it on T-Mobile's website. It was a really informal process and I don't remember the plan having any sort of branded name. Does anyone have any experience with T-Mobile/this plan and tethering?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Call TMobile and ask what their tethering policy is on the Simple Choice plan. They'll tell you.

(If it's "no" and they catch you, they can terminate your service and charge you an early termination fee.)