My LG G3 fails to boot after encryption, what should I do?

A

AC Question

I initiated encrypting my brand new LG G3, it did it's thing and then asked for my pin code to decrypt and boot up. It's been on the LG start up screen for 2 hours now. I don't want to interrupt the encryption process but this feels extraordinarily long and like something didn't work properly. So, what should I do so that I can use my phone? Do a hard reboot? Power off power on? Something else?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you know if it's still encrypting, or if the encryption was complete and you're just trying to boot up?

If it's still encrypting, it can take quite some time, depending on how much data there is to encrypt. A couple of hours may not be out of the question. Give it a little more time.

Rbes24

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
I assume that it finished encrypting because it restarted and then asked for my pin code. I entered the correct one. And it got stuck on the LG start up screen. It kept going for 5 hours so I shut it down.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Since it's brand new, you may want to bring it back to the store and show them what happened. Ask for a replacement--if they don't give it to you, then contact LG for warranty service. You presumably didn't do anything to void the warranty, and this kind of thing should definitely not happen.

Rbes24

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy for your help. I took it back to Best Buy. Their mobile team did a factory reset for me. It now works. Yay! Hopefully there's no other issues with my phone. By the way I had Googled how to do a factory reset in an attempt to do that myself. None of the key combinations I found worked for me. Turns out the magic combination for the LG G3 is hold the down volume and power button at the same time.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you figured it out! I would have been a bit wary of doing a factory reset if it seemed like it was in the middle of encrypting or decrypting, since I didn't know if there are any risks of bricking the phone. So it's helpful for me to know as well!

The T-Mobile support site is a good resource for finding out reset instructions, not just for T-Mobile phones: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-11920