MUST I have a gmail account?

A

AC Question

I am very happy with my Lumia phone, but there are some apps I must have for work that are only on iOS and Android so I am thinking of getting a Note 4.
I don't like Google and avoid it wherever I can. Do I need a gmail account to download apps etc, or can I just use my Hotmail account instead?

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I think you must have a Google account to use Google Play Store. But maybe you can use other app markets not from Google and you can avoid this...
On the other hand, having an account just to access Google Play Store is not so bad... you don't have to use Gmail, G+... if you don't like them..

mazebo

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
Yes, you should be able to find Free apps on other portals than Google Play.
As soon as you'd want to buy something or upgrade to Premium, you'd have to have a Gmail account, though.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You can use a non-Gmail address like Hotmail. But it's simpler to just get a Gmail address and register the phone with that. You don't have to use your Google (Gmail) account for anything. You don't even have to use it for email. But there's many other advantages to having a Google account.

It gives you access to the Play store, 15GB free storage on Google Drive, the ability to save your contacts, calendar and more to Google for easy restoration or transfer if you get a new device, you can get a Goog le Voice number, etc etc etc. Google offers a lot of very useful - an free - services.