I have had the Note 4 since it came out. I immediately realized while texting that I can hold down a letter, and the non-character symbol designated for that letter would type instead. However, suddenly last night, I held Z to get a hyphen and it offered me 3 forms of Z and a hyphen. Now, I would be okay with this if I just had to tap the desired character and that was all, but I can't do that. I have to hit the back button to get that extra characters off the screen, which is insanely annoying because I am a fast typer, and that slows me down.

I haven't messed with any keyboard settings since I got them as I desired them, when I bought the phone. The only setting, at all, that I have changed in the last 3 months is switching my lock screen from a pattern to a thumb print swipe.

Has this happened to anyone else? How did you get rid of it? I just want to hold the letter and have that type the designated non-character symbol, without all the extra accent letters.
    07-17-2015 11:06 AM
    It is showing you the other options for the keyboard. It is the same as if you hit the button at the bottom left to get symbols / numbers .. except they make it so you can hold down on that key to get it. This prevent you from having to go back and forth.
    07-17-2015 11:23 AM
    I have the same problem and it only happens on certain keys, where pressing the letter, to get to the symbol, gives you the symbol option but also that letter in other languages. For example, holding the letter Z to get the - symbol gives you the - and Z in 3 other languages. Is there an option to get just the symbol without the option of the other languages?
    03-30-2020 11:11 AM
    I have the same problem and it only happens on certain keys, where pressing the letter, to get to the symbol, gives you the symbol option but also that letter in other languages. For example, holding the letter Z to get the - symbol gives you the - and Z in 3 other languages. Is there an option to get just the symbol without the option of the other languages?
    Hi , which phone and keyboard? Not going get much response on a old thread, maybe make your own can help there .
    03-30-2020 11:52 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! If you're using Gboard, then go to its settings, then Preferences, then scroll down to the Long Press For Symbols toggle.
    VidJunky likes this.
    03-30-2020 05:39 PM