Why has Google Voice Typing become so slow and laggy?

A

AC Question

I'm a big fan of the voice to text companion of the Google keyboard, Google Voice Typing, and have been using it a long time both in the stock email and sms apps. Recently, the performance has suddenly slowed greatly, usually being about four or five words behind what I'm dictating. I've tried dictating sloooowly, waiting for it to catch up, etc, all to no avail. In fact, sometimes when it's lagging, I'll watch the words slowly displaying, then the mic box at the bottom change to something like "microphone can't be reached."

Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm in the US on an LG G3 running lollipop, by the way.

Maybe it's an AT&T data thing. Maybe it's something I installed and now I can't figure out what it is. I've tried going into settings->Language and Input->Google Voice Typing, and don't see anything amiss. Language is set to English (US), Offline speech recognition is set to English (US), Block Offensive Words is off...

I'm using the default LG keyboard (not a big fan of the regular Google keyboard); this may have become part of the problem, but it's the configuration I've used for ages.

I've read about people (for other issues, not this), rolling back updates in various apps, I'm not sure which ones that would be here. I'm guessing I might run into issues if I Uninstall Updates for Google Keyboard. Is that relatively safe to try, or do I need to backup stuff first?

Phew! Sorry so long. I did try to look this problem up via Search here but couldn't find anything. If it's already been covered, my apologies for not seeing it, and I'd be grateful for a pointer to the thread.

Thank you for any help!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It could be a data issue since the dictation relies on a data source to interpret what you are saying and convert to text. You can go into system settings > applications > sort by all > search and clear the cache. See if that helps any.

mwk9876

Aug 26, 2015
Visit site
I am having the same problem with a Samsung S4 mini on Verizon. It started just about the same time as the original poster. I tried to find the clear cache mentioned in All Apps, but couldn't see anything. Other suggestions?

Thx

Bultaco

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I use Google voice-to-text for dictating text messages all the time........and I don't have a dataplan.........AND I can do it when I'm driving in my car, so obviously not connected to Wi-Fi either.
So, there goes THAT argument. :)

Mf901

Jul 12, 2018
Visit site
In my case the lagging was caused by multiple input languages as it seems.

When I'm using just one it works fine

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180712-091615_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20180712-091615_Google.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781