Why can I hear/take calls but not hear music through my Bluetooth headset?

A

AC Question

I am using a Sena SMH5 Bluetooth headset for my motorcycle helmet. After pairing, call management is functioning as expected; inbound and outbound calls, I can hear everything through the BT speakers and speak into the microphone. However, when I play MUSIC or any audio files, the sound does NOT come through the speakers...

I can't find any stereo-specific settings and every user manual for the headset says that the stereo play should be automatic...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Go to the Bluetooth settings in the phone. Find that headset and tap the gear to the right. You MAY have a multimedia box you can check. There are 2 profiles involved, Phone and Multimedia - if the phone recognizes the headset as only a phone device, it won't send it music. (It depends on what the headset "says" when they pair.)

If there's no multimedia box, you might want to try BTmono. It's been a while since I used it, but I could listen to multimedia on my "phone-only" earset. Run BTmono first, turned off, then run the music app, then turn BTmono on.

area1509

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I have a 10C and like others when I pair it to my phone I get the message on the phone (No Media) for both nexus 6P and a note2.

the 6P is a phone and the note2 has no sim card so it is just a media player.

How I got it to work on the note2.

1. paired the 10C with the note2 !No Media!

2. on the phone unchecked Media Audio in the Bluetooth settings for the 10C.

3. Reboot phone.

4. put 10C into phone paring mode.

5. Check Media Audio in the 10C settings on the phone.

After all that the 10C said media connected, I don't know why this happened as I have a Iphone5C Note2 both just used as media devices and a Nexus 6P this one is the phone maybe a firmware update messed with the 10C?

My firmware is v2.1.1

If anyone has success with this method please report back here so others may benefit from it.

Thanks A.J.

area1509

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok I got it working.

I changed nothing on the 10C other than deleting the parings.

Heres the hard part, Backed up my Nexus 6P reinstalled the OS per google's instructions and spend the better part of yesterday restoring all of the data.

after all that it worked the first time paring the 10C to the 6P.

What a FPITA

tsmith154

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
This is an old post but I found myself looking for this answer. I went through the symptoms of not hearing anything, then only hearing but the mic didn't work, the phone button was not recognized by my phone. But as all this was happening I did look on my phone blue tooth area and I did have my Sena SMH5 paired and the media audio and call audio check marks checked.

This is what fixed my head set. I updated the firmware on my SMH5 to 2.2.3. Then reset the SMH5 to factory and Unpaired my phone. After that I rebooted both phone and SMH5. Now after pairing them together I still did not get all the functions. But out of frustration I did not un-pair them I actually selected the pair function on my SMH5 and by itself my phone repaired them together again. By my surprise I have the media audio working but the the phone audio / mic. Ok I set my SMH5 to pair again! and my phone paired again! In my phone I now see the check marks again next to the Media audio and phone audio words in bold. So now I press my phone button on my SMH5 and my phone asks me what do I want to run when I do this, such as Google, Assistant, and what ever else by voice assistant the phone has. So I selected Google. Now phone when I press the phone button on my SMH5 opens up google assistant and I can say any command Google offers. Such as calling, gps, and well what ever google assistant does. So finally I can call, gps, save notes, make a grocery list, listen to music, movies, and what ever. Bottom line my mic and speakers work perfectly and completely controls my phone by voice control.

I hope this helps anyone now days who happen to find this post.

Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12