Can someone help me getting a region- and devicelocked app (otherwise it's free)?

A

AC Question

Hey guys,

I hope you guys can provide me some much needed help.

First, the context:

I'm a diabetic and just got a new blood glucose meter -- one that supports bluetooth connections to smartphones that is.

The only problem: The companion app to manage the occuring values is locked to the Galaxy S line -- if by license or ease of support I don't know --, which is a device I don't own. Since my Xperia Z1 Compact should be up for the task anyway, I wanted to try out, if the App works regardless of the supported devices and tried to download it. Of course any such attempt is blocked.

Now I wanted to ask you, if there's any way to bypass that nonsense. The app is free, so it should not be illegal, right?

Does anyone know, how to procede?

FYI the app is called "ACCU-CHEK® Connect App". As a new user I'm not allowed to post links, so you'll have to find it yourselves, I'm sorry. :-(

I seriously hope someone's able to help me. Without the app, the glucose meter is only able to fulfill half of its intended use. Maybe someone could even provide me with the APK file?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

Best regards
rotpeter

PS: Excuse my English, it's a little bit rusty and only fueled by watching English tv shows as of recent.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Your best course of action is to contact the developer. There MUST be a reason they locked it to a specific line of devices, and if there is no reason (based on apps available ONLY on those devices is a possible reason) maybe they can update the app to work on other brand/model devices.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a diabetic and just got a new blood glucose meter -- one that supports bluetooth connections to smartphones that is.
Sounds nice. I have 3 glucometers, and none of them connect, except by expensive USB cable. Cheap meters, expensive cables, I guess.

The only problem: The companion app to manage the occuring values is locked to the Galaxy S line -- if by license or ease of support I don't know --, which is a device I don't own. Since my Xperia Z1 Compact should be up for the task anyway, I wanted to try out, if the App works regardless of the supported devices and tried to download it. Of course any such attempt is blocked.

Now I wanted to ask you, if there's any way to bypass that nonsense. The app is free, so it should not be illegal, right?
It's probably not that it's blocked, it probably won't work on a Z1. If you don't see it when you run Play on the phone, it's not for your phone. Why? Because the developer can mark specific phones it'll run on. Maybe they don't have anything but Samsungs, so they don't want to have to handle "it doesn't work" requests when it's used on other phones - there's no way for them to find out why or to fix it.

Also, in order to use it, you have to create an account with them, and only a limited number of countries are allowed (from memory - I just installed the app to see what would happen - it's less than 12 countries), so yours might not be included, so you can't create an account, so you can't use the app. Check at https://www.accu-chekconnect.com/ui/guest/v2/registration.jsf - try to create an account. (The birthdate is mmddyyyy format.)

FYI the app is called "ACCU-CHEK® Connect App". As a new user I'm not allowed to post links, so you'll have to find it yourselves, I'm sorry. :-(
No problem - it's right there in the Play Store.

I seriously hope someone's able to help me. Without the app, the glucose meter is only able to fulfill half of its intended use. Maybe someone could even provide me with the APK file?
If you can set up an account, message me here and I'll give you a link to the apk file.

PS: Excuse my English, it's a little bit rusty and only fueled by watching English tv shows as of recent.
You're not a native English-speaker? Only your last 3 words would even make me suspect that. The rest was good enough that I didn't suspect until the last line. ("recently" would be more "English" than "as of recent".)

anon(9575483)

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Sounds nice. I have 3 glucometers, and none of them connect, except by expensive USB cable. Cheap meters, expensive cables, I guess.

Thanks for your nice post, mate. My physician hands them out for free because he gets the meters as promotional material from the pharmaceutical companies. I didn't have one of those gadgets either the first 6 years since I've been diagnosed. ;-)

Also, in order to use it, you have to create an account with them, and only a limited number of countries are allowed (from memory - I just installed the app to see what would happen - it's less than 12 countries), so yours might not be included, so you can't create an account, so you can't use the app. Check at [...] try to create an account. (The birthdate is mmddyyyy format.)

The package only states that I should check the QR code printed on it and be ready to go. But for that to work I need the app. :-/

I would gladly take the APK and give it a try. If it works it's great, but I'm surely not disappointed if it doesn't. ;-) I'll keep you posted!

EDIT: What's the status, mate? ;-)

Last edited: