GMail: forwarding vs adding accounts

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I currently have 2 pop3 accounts forwarded to my gmail account. What difference would it be if I added the accounts instead of forwarding them? I'm having an issue with spam that I was wondering if this would make a difference.

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Sending everything to your Gmail so your POP3 email can be handled by an IMAP service is a HUGE advantage and should help simplify handling spam a LOT. That way, you can setup spam filters in one place, one time, in Gmail. Email is spam-filtered on the server so it is sent to your devices, computer, wherever pre-sorted.

Since they are POP3 accounts, none of that is possible if handled in the usual way. Filtering spam must be done individually, on your phone or computer. IOW, if you separate the accounts, you'll have to do all that configuration or each account and on each device. None of the other advantages of IMAP would be available such as support for folders, syncing across devices, push notifications. etc etc.

Keep forwarding email and take advantage of all that Gmail and IMAP service can do for you.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
My problem with my spam is that it says I have some, but when I open the folder, it's empty. All syncing is on. If I search for "label:spam", it shows up and I can delete it. Otherwise, I have to open my phone's browser or do it on my laptop to delete it. So far no one has a solution to this.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I figured that would end the conversation. No one wants my problem or anything to do with it. Hopefully it will be fixed within my lifetime.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Well, I was just kinda out of ideas. Regarding your spam not showing up correctly, the only thing I can think of your spam folder is not set to sync, even though you said "All syncing is on.".

With some email clients, a folder does not even show in the folder listing if it's not set to sync. Also, you might have 2 spam folders in your Gmail account, one 'Spam' and one '[Spam]'. So, for example, spam might be going to 'Spam' but '[Spam]' might be the folder showing on your phone. But if you search for 'label:spam' it pulls up 'Spam' and there's your stuff. In such a case, you set ']Spam]' to sync with 'Spam'. (That confused me...I had to re-read it a couple of times to be sure I had it right.)

Anyway, it's hard for me to say just what's going on or how to fix it. Some more information would help. You haven't said anything about what device you're using or what email client. Maybe some screenshots too. Give me and others reading this more to work with and we'll try to find a fix.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 4. My email client is the GMail app (latest version). I forward my mail from 2 Roadrunner accounts. Plus my GMail address, so 3 email addresses total. I'll get some screenshots later when I show spam in my spam folder. That way I can show you what I see and I'll send all screens from settings. I need to figure this out. It's driving me nuts.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I don't understand what settings you're putting back the way they were.

What settings?
What were they before?
What did you change them to?
What are they now?

If, as you said, they worked until you changed them back, then the obvious question is...why did you change them back?

Have you tried using a different email app?

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't understand what settings you're putting back the way they were.

What settings?
What were they before?
What did you change them to?
What are they now?

If, as you said, they worked until you changed them back, then the obvious question is...why did you change them back?

Have you tried using a different email app?

I've used GMail for the past 8 years or however long it's been an app on Android. I've always had the settings set one way and never changed them. All of a sudden, my phone upgraded to Lollipop and GMail updated to 5.1 and this issue started. I put the settings back to the way they were means that once I updated GMail, I went in and changed them to the way I've always had them. I know the obvious question, but if it was working for the past many years the way it was, why should I change settings that have always worked? See where I'm going here? It's Google that broke something and I'm determined to find out what it was and find a fix. As for using another app, no, that's not going to happen. I like GMail. I just wish it worked the way it was working before Google broke it.

Last edited:

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
You still haven't said...

What settings
What the settings were
What you changed them to
What they are now

How am I supposed to help?

You're dealing with technology here. Technology changes. Software changes. Hardware changes.

Google didn't break it, they changed it. You adapted, you changed some settings and it worked. Good!

But then you decided to refuse to accept a change, even though it apparently worked, and went back to the old settings. Which fail. But somehow, you're ticked off about that.

I don't see how I or anyone else can help you. You won't give the necessary information. And even if I suggest a fix, if it changes anything you will reject it.

Lotsa luck!

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
What I find hardest to believe is that I'm the only one that is experiencing this issue. Isn't possible. Way too many people use the gmail app for me to be the only one.

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
OK. I'll give you the info. you asked for. What I mean by changing settings is that I put them where you see them in the link I posted for that help thread. They are always at a default setting when you install an app. I changed them to the way you see them. Also, what app do you use for email? I'll try it and see if it works for me. Maybe it will. Then I'll be set. If not, then I guess I'm back to square one. Or maybe I'll just give the stock email app a try and see how that works. Never worked the way I needed it in the past, but it's been several years.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Try AquaMail, there's nothing else like it. Simple, intuitive UI. Highly configurable with lotsa options. And I mean lotsa of options. Has some unique features like the Smart Folder, which is basically a unified inbox but configurable so that it becomes much more. Very fast. Excellent support via built-in help, a user forum monitored by the developer or by email. A terrific piece of software, one of the very best apps of any kind available for Android.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d....kman.AquaMail&token=64wz-eOg

When adding an account just let it do an automatic setup and you should have no trouble. AquaMail has never failed to do the basic setup for a Gmail account in my experience.

Note: Doesn't have a conversation view option - yet. If you want it, it's in the works and will be in a new release soon.

If you have questions or problems post back here.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I told you there's a lotta options. A few are tricky to find.

For example, if you long-press on an account titlebar and tap Special settings you'll see 4 items with on/off switches. But that's not the tricky part. If you tap Message notifications - on the words, not the switch - it opens another extensive Menu.

The built-in Help/FAQ are helpful. And support on the forum is very good.

Did you get basic setup of your accounts completed OK?

TechNut79

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I did. That was the easy part. The myriad of settings is the hard part. I will be looking at the help/faq and visiting the forum to get a handle on everything.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12