Will using the phone with charger still in ruin battery life?

A

AC Question

I would like to know if using my Samsung S6 once fully charged and charger still connected affect the battery life?

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Probably not. The battery discharges according to what's running on the phone. The charger being connected if it's plugged into a power source will continue to recharge the battery.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The charging circuit in the phone charges until the terminal voltage on the battery is 4.20 Volts, then turns off, so the only problem is the annoying "your phone is charged, unplug the charger" notice messing up the screen. If the battery drops a little, the charger will kick in, bring it back to 100%, then shut off again. (I've left forgotten phones plugged in for months and the batteries were still fine.)

About the only problem is that anything plugged into the wall, if it goes bad, can cause a fire. So if you leave the charger plugged into the wall all the time, connected to the phone or not, you run the same risk - about the same as being hit on the head by falling satellite debris, probably. I was in the business for years before I retired and never had one go on me. (I'm still using some 12 year old Motorola chargers.) I've heard of one or two cases in all that time, so the odds are pretty small, considering the number of cellphone and laptop chargers in the world. Lithium batteries catch fire far more often (probably about an average of one in the world per year, aside from a few major debacles, like Sony's).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol