permantly deleting text

A

AC Question

ey guys, I am really unfamiliar with all this tech malarky so please forgive me. I've never had to go to a forum to ask for this kind of thing but it's kind of important.

I have deleted some messages in the standard way.

I have since learned that there are ways to retrieve/recover those messages using snazzy apps etc.

I need to make sure the messages that I have deleted are PERMANENTLY deleted and can not be recovered - how do I do this?

I have considered going to the message settings and clearing the cache, but I don't know if this will delete all my other messages and look suspicious.

Discretion is key here folks. Can anyone please help or advise me?

Much appreciated

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Clearing the cache doesn't destroy data, it just destroys stuff the app didn't clear up the last time it was closed. (Sometimes it keeps that stuff there so it will open faster the next time you run it.) It doesn't look suspicious, because it doesn't leave any traces that you did it. (The next time you receive or send a text, the app is going to save something in its cache.)

Any deleted data that hasn't been overwritten can be recovered, if you spend enough money to do it, and I don't know of any app that will go through the text database and compact it (which would overwrite deleted texts). You can do it manually, but there's a learning curve - you have to learn SQL, and where the texts are kept on that phone - and you have to root the phone.