Intermittent WIFI connection with Moto G (2nd Gen)

A

AC Question

I recently got a Motorola Moto G 2nd Gen thru Consumer Cellular and when I first got it, it worked great. In the past two days however it has suddenly started dropping wifi randomly every 30 seconds to 10 minutes and not reconnecting unless I manually tell it to (and even then it often tries to connect and then just fails or something as it simply says "saved"). It has connected before and on the times it DOES connect it marks signal strength as excellent, frequency at 2.4 GHz, speed at 72Mbps, and security as WPA2 PSK. Going thru my phone I don't see Wifi Optimization like the guide spoke of and as I have connected to the internet before and sometimes can now I know I am connecting properly (authentication, password, etc). I am currently using Android version 5.0.2 which I have heard can cause issues but as this has only cropped up in the last few days that seems unlikely as well.

Thus far I have tried restarting both my phone and my router, uninstalling a majority of the apps I have downloaded in case one of them was interfering, turning off the internet to several of my other devices incase the router was simply being overloaded, and clearing the built in memory (it had been getting rather full). Nothing has seemed to have any effect.

Suggestions?

davidc8

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi I've recently had exactly the same problem with my Moto G2. I've had it for 9 months (SIM-free from Argos) and upgraded it to Lollipop a few months ago - it's currently on 5.0.2. It's been fine on wifi until the last few days when it kept disconnecting every few seconds and sometimes struggling to connect. I think I've solved it - by turning off Bluetooth on the phone. I never use Bluetooth anyway and wasn't aware of having turned it on although I did wonder what the funny squiggly icon was! Anyway it seems to be cured now - hope it lasts, and that this helps you!!

Potka91

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
I would never have thought of THAT to be a fix but I tried it and my phone is working perfectly now. Sadly I didn't have a profile when I made the question so I can't mark your answer as correct but it worked. Thank you very much for your help.

geejaay

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks davidc8.

Like you my Moto G2 is 9 months old, bought sim free and running 5.0.2. It started constantly dropping Wi-Fi yesterday, and was also haemorrhaging battery while it tried to connect and re-connect. Turning off Bluetooth solved the problem instantly.

I haven't seen this problem or solution anywhere else yet so I'm very grateful for your input. I do need Bluetooth for hands-free in the car though, so I'm hoping if this is an ongoing issue there will be a more permanent solution somewhere around.

Incidentally, what's the hold up on 5.1? Come on Motorola, chop chop.